OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2)

+20
TEEROY 34
stikman
Sleuth 101
Waffelz
Don Stylz
JamieWhincup#1
Obsidith
ted
OctarineDream
Dazza4610
mad DANNO 29
NoRecoil
FrankTank
Envy The Best
RU four 86
crimson eagle73
okrad
Rinkly
mcrow5
Arckon
24 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2) - Page 6 Empty Re: Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2)

Post by mcrow5 Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:17 pm

gonna rent this first, doesnt sound as good as what i was hoping. even if i have it for one night, ill just bash around bathurst for a while.

mcrow5
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2) - Page 6 Empty Re: Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2)

Post by mad DANNO 29 Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 pm

looks like I'll rent it and see

....need another game to tide me over for a while though scratch

...or I could pull my finger out and finish my OZFM version 3.0 theme

mad DANNO 29
Technical Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:03 pm

Well, this is a totally different game using the wheel. I find it much easier to drive and it may even have some potential.

I do think the force feed back is a bit soft, nor sure if o can adjust that. I did manage to find the rumble setting, so o have turned that down a bit, I know when I am running on a nipple strip.

NOw I just need to manage the difference between Forza and nfs using the wheel. I guess I could just play tdu2 while we run the v8 series

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by mad DANNO 29 Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:16 pm

OK....even more conflicted

...should I now pull my near new, only used 3 times wheel out and rent the game and see if I like it then buy the game and play it and race and stuff or just sell my wheel cause I never use it and yes I'm rambling but am really meant to be working cause I have no life and builders keep shitting me and customers keep sending the work and I'm drowning in it and I really need to get off this computer I'm going nuts...... affraid

another beer and I'll be right Toast
mad DANNO 29
mad DANNO 29
Technical Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Arckon Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:04 am

I think I have posted this before but the below link is where I order a lot of my games from, it is free shipping but despite the name they are based in England.
There prices are normally between about $58 - $62 for new releases (picked up Alan Wake the other month for $24), and if you compare that to JB prices you are basically getting every third game for free.
The very, very, very odd game you May have DLC problems with though due to being the UK version, and of course you get the game aprox a week after release waiting for the shipping. Have had no problems trading them to date if need to.
The Limited Edition of what is looking like being Sh.t 2 was $64, only $1 more than the normal edition.

http://www.ozgameshop.com/

Arckon
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieWhincup#1 Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:42 am

I was hesitant on buying this game but now that i've played it I'm happy I did.
It's sort of like a cross between Grid and Dirt2.
If you want a game that is a bit of fun and no where as near as serious as forza I'd recommend buying this game.
It is 100% better than SHift1.
7.5/10
JamieWhincup#1
JamieWhincup#1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:14 am

JamieWhincup#1 wrote:7.5/10

I would agree with this.

Yes the handling is "ok", not great. The more I play it, the more I like it, and it may be just I am getting use to the handling, but the higher classes seem to handle better, as I would expect.

At first it seemed a bit easy to beat the AIs on the hardest level, but I am now up to Modern C class, and they are getting harder. One thing I do like is the AIs seem to know exactly where you are, because they will defend thier lines and entries to the corners.

Now I am up to drifting... I suck at drifting, I do in Forza, and every other game I have played, so no big surprise there. I had to use the controller to get through the drifting in Forza, and I will need to do this in Shift 2 as well.

Sorry if some of this is confussing people, but I am trying to review on the fly. As I work through the game I will thow up some more info.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by mad DANNO 29 Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:41 am

Sounds like a game I will enjoy......but may rent it this weekend before driving a couple of hours to get it

EDIT: Cool vid shop just got their copies in and are holding one for me.
mad DANNO 29
mad DANNO 29
Technical Director

Back to top Go down

Post by crimson eagle73 Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 pm

Here is some advice I picked up from the EA forum.

However the second piece of why the cars feel floaty are in the game and can be fixed easily. For whatever reason when you buy and build a car the default spring rate settings are at their softest and the steering lock in the tuning section for the car is set to 20 which is way to low. I adjusted the steering lock to 25-28 and simply moved all the sliders for spring rates to the middle position. Doing this will eliminate about 90% of the floating and bring the cars handling to life.

I know there are better tuners than me who will undoubtedly tune the car to their likeing but this is the reason that the cars seem to float.

Now I have no fear about getting this game. I'll pick it up in about a months time after I finish paying off my GT2 wheel.

crimson eagle73
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:27 pm

That would make sense now. I have just started upgrading and playing with the tuning, now things are feeling better. I thought it was my fantastic tuning ability.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by stikman Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:32 pm

THis game is sounding better and better from what you guys are saying, think i might grab it tomoz

stikman
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by puttzNZ Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:52 am

Yeah sweet, just found a copy....

Missus job today.......go and trade games for unleashed 2!!

Then leave work early and come have some fun with uz fullas hehe
puttzNZ
puttzNZ
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by puttzNZ Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:07 am

even better....

After trading in

Red dead
RUSE
Alien vs Predetor
Batman lego....

I got unleashed for nothing and even got 60 cents back....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet Razz
puttzNZ
puttzNZ
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by mcrow5 Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:08 am

maybe i should trade in some games and get it for free Very Happy
mcrow5
mcrow5

Back to top Go down

Post by NoRecoil Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:28 am

o_0 ................ Spent 2 hours last night trying to get past the evaluation load screen. Im guessing my Xbox is farked when it comes to new games or its just too old to run them.

I reset it about 40 times, it either just freezes at the evaluation load screen or it just sits there loading. Starts up fine and quickly, i watch the intro, press career, then that D1 yanker dribbles his shit and tell me about this 'tricked out' GTR and that he want me to race it...... then freeze or no load.
You cant skip the stupid clip or race anything untill you have done the evaluation race.
NoRecoil
NoRecoil
OZFM Series Organiser

Back to top Go down

Post by mcrow5 Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:29 pm

went out and bought the game, first impressions is that it could be good. but its a PITA with a controller. people with a wheel will benefit greatly from it.

the photo editor isnt really that great either Sad

one thing that was cool though, a car crashed on the first lap (2 lap race), and the next time i came around the corner, it was still there. and the AI slowed down for it. talking about the AI, not really that great, from my experience so far.
mcrow5
mcrow5

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:35 pm

mcrow5 wrote:people with a wheel will benefit greatly from it.

Yep, I agree, I started using the controller because I did not want get confused when swapping with Forza. I tried the MS wheel, and while the FBB is not strong enough, I found it much better. Swapped back to the controller while I do the drift section though.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by NoRecoil Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:41 pm

was reading somewhere that all the cars in game have up the shit suspension settings, tune the car yourself and it will be better with the controller
NoRecoil
NoRecoil
OZFM Series Organiser

Back to top Go down

Post by mad DANNO 29 Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:51 pm

had a blast playing it last night.....drifting is sweet

hired it for a week to decide if I will purchase
mad DANNO 29
mad DANNO 29
Technical Director

Back to top Go down

Post by stikman Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Here's some controller settings i found online, supposedly makes it alot better for those without a wheel. I was struggling a bit with the standard settings so will see how this goes.

Steering Dead Zone: 3
Accelerator Dead Zone: 5
Brake Dead Zone: 5
Steering Sensitivity: 50
Acceleration Sensitivity: 50
Braking Sensitivity: 50
Speed Steering Sensitivity: 100

stikman
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by puttzNZ Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:48 pm

sweet shot stik....Ill chuck them in shortly, I had a quick play with settings and it helped out abit straight away....

Been trying to play with tune, I found even putting the race coil overs in helps a bunch...

First impressions are good, LOVE the drifting and the sound of the ROTAS
Yo haha the j-port even has a slow pulse to it its wicked, and the shift lights work...theyve done pretty well with it...

Should keep me going for awhile..

So whos up for a blat around the mountain shortly?? Bow

puttzNZ
puttzNZ
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by mcrow5 Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:14 pm

after playing with the settings for the controller, ive found it much easier. been posting number 1 positions since then Very Happy

and Puttz, im up for a bash later tonight.
mcrow5
mcrow5

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Have played it a bit this arvo. Yeah - the floatiness is weird. Going down the straight just wobbling side to side for no apparent reason. I've driven my car up to around 190km/h (disclaimer: it was legally on a track...) and it doesn't wobble like that! Installing suspension upgrades and stiffening it up helped a lot, but still feels odd.
Braking is strange - finding it hard to judge when it is and isn't locking up.
As someone else mentioned - seems strangely difficult to accidentally drift if you hit the throttle coming out of a turn. Throttle-off oversteer on the other hand is very sensitive.
I've got the next few days off work so I'm going to give it a good bash before I decide if I want to buy it or not (yay for rentals). Might see some of you for some multiplayer action! Don - I got your invite, but I'd only just sat down to play and wanted to get a feel for it before trying multiplayer.
Otherwise maybe I'll check out Dragon Age 2 (although that was best on the PC) or just buy some more bike parts. :-)

Chris (OD)
OctarineDream
OctarineDream

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:41 pm

ok, have decided I don't like this game.
NFS Hot Pursuit was a fun arcade game. Shit Unleashed wants to be a sim, but isn't even close. But it isn't "fun" enough to be just an arcade game.
The steering really bugged me from the start. Even the tune cars wallow around corners and fish tail on straights. I turned Steering Assist on which seemed to stop the car swerving around down the straights, but it's still pretty crap. I dunno what Steering Assist is meant to do (not mention in manual or in game).
When I turn a corner at speed and it doesn't appear to turn fast enough I don't know if it's because it's sliding or because I haven't turned the wheel far enough. There's no "feel".
Drifting was terrible with the wheel - but pretty good with the controller. The sound was pretty crud though
On a brighter note, the rest of the sound is awesome. The engines sound great. I like most of the graphics, and the feeling of speed is amazing.

Anywho, I hired it yesterday and it's cost me $9.90 for one night. I could hold it another night for only 90c but I don't want to waste the money so off to the store I go.

cya,
Chris (OD)
OctarineDream
OctarineDream

Back to top Go down

Post by mcrow5 Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:28 pm

im in the same boat as OD, the steering is a POS. its so unpredictable its not even funny. it pisses me off and i have to turn the game off to save my tv from being ruined (me throwing controller at it). not to mention i cant even find how to turn off auto transmission. and the auto sucks arse as it is. oh and the drifting, WTF? they said it uses the same physics engine as the racing. bullshi#!!!!!! anyone notice that even if you dont steer and are sliding, the car automatically counter steers for you (look at the wheels). the physics engine is sooo twitchy and unpredictable. i cant even tell if ive lost traction or locked a brake.

one thing that i really like though is the tire marbles off the racing line, but for some reason, on some corners, the racing line (even with the recommended line on) has marbles on it!!! WTF??? and the fact that they too are unpredictable. most of the time it causes a spin out, and i cant remember the last time i saw a car do a complete 360 degree turn just from running over some marbles.

the cars sound nice, and the tracks look pretty, but its just a POS game that tries too hard to be a sim. EA need to go back to the arcade racers they where known for.

thinking of selling the game for 50 bucks to get at least some of my money back.
mcrow5
mcrow5

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:06 pm

mcrow5 wrote:
not to mention i cant even find how to turn off auto transmission. and the auto sucks arse as it is.

Gameplay setup - go to the second screen (where you see a picture of your controller or wheel) and the auto option is on that page. No idea why they put it there and not with the rest of the options...

oh and the drifting, WTF? they said it uses the same physics engine as the racing. bullshi#!!!!!! anyone notice that even if you dont steer and are sliding, the car automatically counter steers for you (look at the wheels).

haha yeah - I was hating it with the wheel but with the controller half the time I could do a damn fine drift just squeezing the throttle and not even touching the wheels (ie no countersteer?). And if it's the same physics engine why do none of my cars drift in normal races when I floor it on a corner. Felt weird being able to put my foot down coming out of a corner in a RWD Lambo and not have it swap ends.

thinking of selling the game for 50 bucks to get at least some of my money back.

haha, yeah I remembered that I saw Dirt 2 as an ex-rental for $15 yesterday so I went looking for it when I dropped back NFS. Unfortunately it had just sold this arvo. Bugger. Now that's a fun game!

cya,
Chris (OD)
OctarineDream
OctarineDream

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleuth 101 Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Interesting how people's opinions can differ on the one game.

I have found the game to be pretty good, sure it's hard to start with but once you get your wheel/controller settings dialed in on a stock car it becomes really good and easier to drive ecspecially when you start tuning and upgrading the cars, the swaying motion/floatiness you guy's are feeling is wheel controller settings incorrectly adjusted imo. I am using no assists as well.

Have had some really good races around bathurst, and helmet cam is different but once again adds to the overall game experience.

Sure it's no forza but the next best thing imo and it will tie me over untill forza 4 gets here. Now off to get some nitrous action, gotta love that.
Sleuth 101
Sleuth 101
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next