OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2)

+20
TEEROY 34
stikman
Sleuth 101
Waffelz
Don Stylz
JamieWhincup#1
Obsidith
ted
OctarineDream
Dazza4610
mad DANNO 29
NoRecoil
FrankTank
Envy The Best
RU four 86
crimson eagle73
okrad
Rinkly
mcrow5
Arckon
24 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2) - Page 5 Empty Re: Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2)

Post by Arckon Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:06 am

RU four 86 wrote:just saw this vid and at least they used someone that can drive!

GTPlanet at Shift 2 Media Event: Hands-On Impressions
[i]

Try before you Buy!

RU

Snigger, laugh, closet GT5 fan.

Nah, only joking, I found that review the best impression of the game as well, but then I am looking at Shift 2 the same as I did F1 and that is as a single player game with the odd online burst of play for plain simple non serious fun (though still only with people who try their best to drive cleanly and properly).

In fairness you have edited the article to make the point you wish to make as the article also said things like:
"Dismissing this game for its physics is akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water -- it introduces some very cool new features to the genre that other developers would be wise to take note of."
and
"AI in Shift 2 is extremely impressive -- they’re aggressive, but clean."
and
"The track list is also well rounded, featuring classics such as the Nurburgring (the GP course and the Nordschleife), Laguna Seca, Suzuka, and Monza, and other popular real-world circuits such as Mount Panorama (Bathurst), Road America, Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Spa Francorchamps, Circuit de Catalunya, and many more."
( I personally think the track list if you check out the full list is the best in any racing game to date as it has many not often seen in other games - baring maybe Race Pro but that is debatable).
and
"You’ve got to hand it to Slightly Mad Studios’ for their selection of cars in Shift 2.....The damage is extremely impressive, featuring cracked glass, crumpled, detachable body panels, and wheels torn off in violent shunts."
and finally
"Despite a physics engine which will leave sim-racers wanting more, this is a fun, exciting, and intense driving game. Without doubt, the Shift series is definitely headed in the right direction. I had an absolute blast racing with other members of the press during the many LAN races held in the EA offices, and that’s what really matters."

I definately agree try before you buy.
Yes it appears the physics engine which is the most important part of the game still is lacking compared to Forza 3 (and if you believe the hype on the tyre modelling they are doing for forza 4) but I also do enjoy a racing game that is fun.
A huge amount of people enjoyed grid ( I disliked it to hell) but I am getting the impression this will be an enjoyable game better than games and more sim than games like Grid/ Project Gotham/Midnight Club LA ok not as SIM as Forza or GT but then if you spoke to PC racers they would scoff at you for thinking Forza and GT are sim compared to some PC games like NetKar Pro, I-Racing, RFactor.

Personally I think Shift 2 will be a fun racing game that I will take ahead of the majority of other less sim racing games out there of recent and past. I will be the first to admit if I get ripped off by this game, look at TDU2 far more less sim than Shift 2 appears to be, but for a reason I can not comprehend a lot of people enjoy playing it, some times just having a racing title for just plain fun can be what you are sometimes after, obviously why TDU2 appeals to some people, but not me, perhaps Shift 2 will be my TDU2.

Arckon
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2) - Page 5 Empty Re: Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2)

Post by Dazza4610 Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:55 am

Was listening to podcasts from NFS yesterday, and if you have played NSF Undercover, NFS HP, NST SHift 1, you will earn XP and in game cash.

So I would recommend throwing those games back in and save a game to make sure you get the extras.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by crimson eagle73 Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:10 pm

Or you could rent one of them. Save it and get the extra goodies. tsake back the rental

crimson eagle73
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Obsidith Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:51 pm

is it worth buying ?

Obsidith
Advanced Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Obsidith wrote:is it worth buying ?

I will tell you after it comes out, I quite like the NFS stuff as a break from Forza. I understand that it is not a sim racer but that is the bit I like about it. I found with F1 2010 using the wheel, it messed up my Forza game, so the NFS series being arcade, I use the controler, and it seems much easier to jump back in the Forza cars. I have not played F1 2010 again for this very reason. I plan to get back in to it after the V8s, and before Forza 4 comes out. though.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by Obsidith Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:53 pm

Yeah I sold my F1 2010 for that reason

I just played Shift 2 on pc and it felt really shit the cars seem to float and the FFB is shocking(g27), I had locked up the brakes and you couldn't feel it at all only. There is a whole heap of black rubbish flicks on to the front screen even when your the only car on the track. The AI still seems over the top agro

I dont know if this is just a pc version thing but I hope not

Obsidith
Advanced Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Arckon Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:19 pm

Obsidith wrote:Yeah I sold my F1 2010 for that reason

I just played Shift 2 on pc and it felt really shit the cars seem to float and the FFB is shocking(g27), I had locked up the brakes and you couldn't feel it at all only. There is a whole heap of black rubbish flicks on to the front screen even when your the only car on the track. The AI still seems over the top agro

I dont know if this is just a pc version thing but I hope not

Damn that doesn't bode well, perhaps this may end up being traded quick smart. Suppose I will know in a few days.

Arckon
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by RU four 86 Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:20 pm

Ive just picked up a copy,
even knowing the floatie physics. Just have to have Bathurst! Embarassed

anyway, will attempt to create an online lobby for anyone that wants to run Bathurst tonight, around 9:00 AEDST (8:30 adelaide time)

RU shifted too

BTW: dickie Smiths have the game for $79.95, about 10 bucks cheaper than anywhere else, but as always any have 1 copy until the special expires, lol.
So use the old EA games match price stuff!
RU four 86
RU four 86
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:08 pm

I ended up getting my pre ordered copy today for NFS HP + $18. I was happy about that.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by mad DANNO 29 Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:27 pm

my eb was only gonna give $28 for my NFS HP
...they had a pre-owned copy on the shelf for 80 bucks Rolling Eyes

plus they only had the limited edition SHIFT 2 for $110 bucks

....so I told the manager to bite me
(well I said a bit more but it would be heavily sensored if I typed it Very Happy )

may have to order one from online somewhere .......a bit cheaper
mad DANNO 29
mad DANNO 29
Technical Director

Back to top Go down

Post by stikman Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:55 pm

You can get it from GAME for 28 squid if you trade a newish game

stikman
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by mad DANNO 29 Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:10 pm

stikman wrote:You can get it from GAME for 28 squid if you trade a newish game

closest game shop is an hours drive....only have an eb nearby Mad
mad DANNO 29
mad DANNO 29
Technical Director

Back to top Go down

Post by RU four 86 Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:12 pm

WARNING SHIT GAME ALERT
RU's opinion

Mine's going back first thing in the morning.

its not so much the physics, as it is somewhat a personal thing to some degree!, to which I think is even below par to that of the above reviews

its the game play,
Quick play (non-career mode) you can select any track, but you can only use the car(s) in your garage. Considering I have only played 6% of FM3, Im knackered
and dont mention online multi-play, I said don't mention it!
same car restrictions here too, If you dont own it you wont drive it! I did find out that you could get awarded a "loan car" if you enter a lobby that has a different class you dont have, but dont think you have any options on what it is or to change the car either!
You can't run alone in a lobby online, min 2 players, their goes testing. And I could not find even 1 existing online lobby going on to join

Look these are my first impressions, but if I can't play or enjoy the game the way I want to then whats the point. Bathurst or no Bathurst!

PS: I wont be online with Shit 2, sorry mis-spelt Shift 2 its already back in the bag for a return!

mad DANNO 29 wrote:my eb was only gonna give $28 for my NFS HP
...they had a pre-owned copy on the shelf for 80 bucks Rolling Eyes

plus they only had the limited edition SHIFT 2 for $110 bucks

that pre owned one is probably a return, cos the original owner retuned it too, lol and their is only LE ones everywhere I didnt see a standard Edition anywhere.

US price $59, incredible how we get treated down under

this is going to be the first game I ever returned,

RU shafted 2

Edit: shit game warning alert title is a bit harsh for a review, but it is going back and its a mild comment about how I feel about my first impression about the game

Last edited by RU four 86 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
RU four 86
RU four 86

Back to top Go down

Post by RU four 86 Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:19 pm

Arckon wrote:
RU four 86 wrote:just saw this vid and at least they used someone that can drive!

GTPlanet at Shift 2 Media Event: Hands-On Impressions
[i]

Try before you Buy!

RU

In fairness you have edited the article to make the point you wish to make as the article also said things like:

sorry Arkon, only just read this,

and yes I did edit it to make a point about the physics, after all the promo's about a sim racing experience ect.

but I also backed it up with the link to the original article so everyone could read it in its entirety and make their own opinion

RU
RU four 86
RU four 86

Back to top Go down

Post by mad DANNO 29 Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:41 pm

any more reviews fellas.....I'm unsure about this one

I'm not a fanatical sim racer...so don't care to much about exact realism and if I can tune an extra half a second out of a lap

I hated shift 1 and quickly returned that, but loved Grid...for it's even playing field race style

Should I bother driving for 2 hours to get this one...or try and rent it first

scratch
mad DANNO 29
mad DANNO 29
Technical Director

Back to top Go down

Post by RU four 86 Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:56 pm

mad DANNO 29 wrote:any more reviews fellas.....I'm unsure about this one

I'm not a fanatical sim racer...so don't care to much about exact realism and if I can tune an extra half a second out of a lap

I hated shift 1 and quickly returned that, but loved Grid...for it's even playing field race style

Should I bother driving for 2 hours to get this one...or try and rent it first

scratch

Rent it first mate,

Im like you , not a hard core racer nor need sim racing to enjoy a game, I started going back to F1 2010.
but this game has disappointed me no end and I thought Id done my homework!

my comments weren't much of a review, so see what other think about it first

RU
RU four 86
RU four 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:11 pm

I have now played NFS SHift 2 for about 4-5 hours, and will attempt to give you my thoughts.

This game is NOT a sim, however it is more sim like than Grid was, I never played SHift 1.

I am enjoying it, working through the career mode, I have not played on line yet.

I am using the controler not the wheel, however I will give the wheel a go tonight. I was not really wanting a game to use the wheel until I am finished with Forza 3 (after the V8s). The cars I have driven so far are of the lower class cars, and they do seem a little washy under brakes.

As a fan of the NFS series I was not expecting this game to replace Forza, and in some ways glad it will not.

I will not return the game, I think it is worth a "wait and see", as I said before, so far it is exactly what I thought it would be, just another arcade racer.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:44 pm

Best review ever RU!!!
hahaha

Dont you guys recall Shift 1 was dubbed Sh*t 1
cmon fellas, if its going to be better than FM we'd all know about it.
GT5 failed also (only my opinion) so its no wonder this one did too.

Buy a few other games and wait for FM4 gents!!!
Need For Speed Shift Unleashed (2) - Page 5 981687
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 pm

Holy Crap RU just got his first OZFM Award !
Congrats RU
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34

Back to top Go down

Post by crimson eagle73 Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:57 pm

LOL my copy is still at the shops waiting for me to pick it up. Not sure I want to now.

crimson eagle73
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:04 pm

crimson eagle73 wrote:LOL my copy is still at the shops waiting for me to pick it up. Not sure I want to now.

If you want a sim racer then leave it there, but if you want an arcade racer then I think it is worth the ~$80

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by crimson eagle73 Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:15 pm

One thing I don't get. How did Tommy Minler do that amazing run on Laguna Seca? He was using a wheel and it looked pretty good to me. Makes me think it is just wheel settings that need to be played with. Am I mistaken?

crimson eagle73
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Possibly a wheel setting, I will have a go tonight using the ms wheel, will have to now wait till may sometime to try a decent wheel though.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by crimson eagle73 Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:23 pm

I know what you mean Dazz. I was hoping to be playing with the GT2 in a couple of weeks, not a month Mad

crimson eagle73
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by RU four 86 Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:08 pm

TEEROY 34 wrote:Holy Crap RU just got his first OZFM Award !
Congrats RU

your such a chin-nut, !

maybe thats why I like ya

guys, I did pay with the old trusty Ms wheel, and make several adjustments mainly to the FFB,

what my main grip is that I need to play a lot of career mode, and thats not for me, I like the quick race, hot laps and multiplay features of FM3, only play on the xbox 2 nights a week so I never get into career modes, but with this game if I dont, I dont get to use any cars and I really can't see my self driving the same car night after night.

RU
RU four 86
RU four 86

Back to top Go down

Post by mcrow5 Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:17 pm

gonna rent this first, doesnt sound as good as what i was hoping. even if i have it for one night, ill just bash around bathurst for a while.
mcrow5
mcrow5

Back to top Go down

Post by mad DANNO 29 Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 pm

looks like I'll rent it and see

....need another game to tide me over for a while though scratch

...or I could pull my finger out and finish my OZFM version 3.0 theme
mad DANNO 29
mad DANNO 29
Technical Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next