OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Event variety discussion

5 posters

Go down

Event variety discussion Empty Event variety discussion

Post by sillybilly77 Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:14 am

I just wanted to put forward a thread to discuss variety in ozfm event setups.

I have seen, and created, several suggestions for different types of racing - there is often some positive response however it seems to me that events that get started are often very similar...

-- cars are A or R3, 
( occasionally R1, R2, or S - just a couple of times C class... )

-- beyond qual there is 15-20 min "short" race and a 30-45 min "mini-enduro"

So, I guess the question is this the common setup the formula for the most fun in forza?

Do you love A and R3 above all else or would you like to race some slower cars for added variety?

I would be keen on races that are shorter so there can be more races in a session. Do any / many people agree or is it just me?  

Personally my favorite events were the city car challenge and the fiat 500 cup - both C class, the only thing I disliked was that the second half of the mini- enduro usually gets pretty boring.

There was a pretty cool time trial event at the end of forza3 it could be fun to do some more of that sort of thing, or is it redundant now there is rivals - there isn't much discussion on rivals, it could be fun to share car setups or have rivals based challenges such as getting the best placing with non-leaderboard cars... Although the credits reward makes it tempting to always go the easiest way to go fast.

This post on another forum looks like it could be a fun premise for some type of challenge event of some sort:

http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/threads/forzacentral-top-gear-challenge.38185/

Oh, another thing I enjoy is setting up new cars to try for a new series and testing them out - I have a collection of cool old style trans-am cars that I never even managed to get into a race with.  I would like it if series suggestions and regs posts could describe the lobby sYettings to make it easy / interesting to find cars to try?

Ah there's another point - lately I am struggling to find much time to get for online racing, this probably makes me biased toward more casual and less time consuming events. Perhaps my opinion is a bit moot if I am not going to be able to play anyway. Still I think might be worth some discussion ?

sillybilly77
Advanced Driver

Back to top Go down

Event variety discussion Empty Re: Event variety discussion

Post by Dazza4610 Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:38 am

Just to add to this...

Monday nights, Stu (now retired) has had a series running since FM4 began. These were mainly a casual afair.

Tuesday Nights, are OZFMs main series night and has been since FM2. Both myself and NoRecoil mainly run series on Tuesday Nights. That does not mean that someone else can not put up there hand, although Tuesday nights are usually booked up 6 months ahead.

Thursday nights are dedicated Casual events, lately Clarkson has run a few enduro multi class events here. There are rules on how to post up a cusual event on thursday nights in the casual section.

Wednesday and Friday nights are the same as Monday nights, put up a good idea in the ideas thread, get enough interest (one lobby full would be good) then ask Admin to set up a folder for the series to start after the current one. (link in the scrolling banner to message all Admin)

At the moment Wednesday nights are free, so if you have a great series with enough interest then run a casual event on Wednesday or Thursday night see how it goes, then ask for a folder to be set up.

Then there are weekends... and I am sure most nights, I can look down my friends list and see someone running Forza.

As for Time Trials, these can be done any time, just let us know what you need set up (forum wise).

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by sillybilly77 Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Just want to clarify that I appreciate the effort people make to run series and maintain the forum. The thread idea isn't intended as any criticism but just a place to collate some opinions on the topic.

There have been cool suggestions in ideas for series threads and casual suggestions threads that haven't got started.

Is it general consensus that A is best or just what the people who are motivated enough to run a series are keen on?

sillybilly77
Advanced Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:07 pm

sillybilly77 wrote:Just want to clarify that I appreciate the effort people make to run series and maintain the forum. The thread idea isn't intended as any criticism but just a place to collate some opinions on the topic.

There have been cool suggestions in ideas for series threads and casual suggestions threads that haven't got started.

Is it general consensus that A is best or just what the people who are motivated enough to run a series are keen on?

No criticism taken...

I guess the ones that take off.. Series wise I mean are the ones that both gain a lot of interest and the ones the organiser takes the next step to seek a time slot to run it.

I personally like cars that I can change a few setting on to suit my driving style... If you can call it style. That is usually A class and above. Or I simply just go with what ever is running on Tuesday nights, I and I also assume many others have Tuesday nights as my Forza night, have done for ages and the whole family knows that the Internet is mine that night. I try and jump on to some casual events from time to time, but I personally find it a bit hard to commit to any other night other than Tuesday.

I will set up a poll asking what classes people like... I am sure we have done this in the past, but people change their minds, and some people come and go...

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by NoRecoil Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:30 pm

My new spec cars are basically B class.
(even though they are A class builds with there components)
The slower class makes for better racing because people will have time to think about what there doing when passing - Oh and the cars don fold like tissue paper so you can get stuck into each other a bit Very Happy
NoRecoil
NoRecoil
OZFM Series Organiser

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:38 pm

NoRecoil wrote:Oh and the cars don fold like tissue paper so you can get stuck into each other a bit Very Happy

Not that we encourage this behavior. Razz

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:43 pm

i ran a few Tuesday night events too Dazza!!,....... & i thought you were cool haha finger

good points Billy i think it comes with the organiser stepping up from a suggestion to actually making the leap to say im gonna do this properly, however there are ways to run a serious comp and ways to run a casual comp that are different to each other.
I suggest you rock one of these time trials out mate. we use to have the best time trials comp on OZFM, that died a slow death, easily one of the most popular comp we had going when i was in Admin
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:47 pm

There was a pretty cool time trial event at the end of forza3 it could be fun to do some more of that sort of thing,

Pagnian Time Trial #2 anyone?????
would be cool to do a new one.... and also re run the old one in FM4.
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:53 pm

TEEROY 34 wrote:There was a pretty cool time trial event at the end of forza3 it could be fun to do some more of that sort of thing,

Pagnian Time Trial #2 anyone?????
would be cool to do a new one.... and also re run the old one in FM4.

Working on it... Shhhh!!!

This one may involve a celebrity. Enough on that for now.

Where we're we, oh that's right, yes Teeroy ran some series on a Tuesday night too.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieWhincup#1 Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Dazza4610 wrote:

This one may involve a celebrity.

Of cause i'll be involved Wink

Oh crap I wasn't meant to say that.
JamieWhincup#1
JamieWhincup#1

Back to top Go down