OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!!

+13
fisho1966
anon666
Sleuth 101
XYvSTUvYX
Lt HELI
mcrow5
Arckon
iWolf
OctarineDream
TEEROY 34
LATENT IMAGE
RU four 86
Mitch
17 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!! Empty Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!!

Post by Mitch Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Have had some requests from others for me show my steering wheel setup......so here they are........

Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!! 29-09-10

Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!! 30-09-10

Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!! 30-09-12

**notice the sponge behind the pedals??? Gives the pedal more pressure and feel......works great
Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!! 30-09-13

Last edited by Mitch - (Call Me Stig) on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Mitch
Mitch
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!! Empty Re: Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!!

Post by RU four 86 Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:26 am

hi Mitch,
your pics arn't loading correctly for me, but could be my end.
they only part load (progressive)
I might try the sponge idea! I use to use a bit a black watering hose, under the brake pedal, for the same effect.

I will take a couple of pics of my setup tonight, and post

come on every send in your setup pics!
RU four 86
RU four 86
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!! Empty Re: Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!!

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:03 am

I can see the pics just fine.
You shouldnt sit that close to the screen stig, you will get square eyes. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitch Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:40 pm

lol i do have the wheel about 1/2 foot further back than pictured.....im built like a brick shithouse, but got short legs (thanks mum)!!!

and RU it may be your end, so PC bashing is in order for you!!!

FM2 is a disappointment on the wheel, but the FM3 demo impressed. From FM3's release, I will starting on the wheel.
Mitch
Mitch
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by LATENT IMAGE Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:49 am

Mate thats sick and thats it i'm going the wheel setup for FM3 100%...as soon as I get the funds no question.
LATENT IMAGE
LATENT IMAGE
Advanced Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitch Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Good stuff!!!

There has been rumors of MS releasing a new Xbox wheel (to compete with the Fanatec range, which has superior feedback and vibration on the wheel and sports a clutch and force feedback on the pedals). Dont know when its getting released, but if it happens to be around before years end, then just wait for that......dont worry about getting the current-gen wheel if this is the case.
Mitch
Mitch
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:27 am

Nice setup mate, kinda got the same. Bought a new 42" hi def lcd the other day loving the big tv as apposed to the 19" small box i had lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:36 pm

SPONGE! awesome idea.

I have a 110cm screen HD1080i roof projector in my theatre room. Dont have pics of my setup nor do i have a racing seat, i use to have the tail end of a mini (was trimmed and painted and all) that i had as a racing seat but it just doesnt fit in the room properly (try fitting the back seat inc boot etc of a mini in your room Stig haha).
Ill try to get some pics for you.
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Well I got my steering wheel now but im having a hard time driving with it since I don't have a table or anything to rest it on. So by having it on my lap I can't use the pedals to well nor turn the wheel as quick as i'd like since my legs get in the way >.< I think there is one thing I need to do with the settings though and thats increase the inside deadzone a little so i can wabble the wheel and not worry about it turning the car to much. But tell u what talk about constant spin outs from bad steering corrections lol

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:44 pm

It does take a bit of getting use to and a table will help whilst your learning.
Try driving in car so you can see your drivers hands too, it helps a little. (not seeing your driver shift gears shits me a bit but oh well)

I threw in the sponge last night....best wheel mod ever!!! (although i trim mine so it fits just nicely haha)
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitch Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:43 am

cool, and u finding urself more consistant in the braking?
Mitch
Mitch
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:04 pm

Well I've been messing around with setups so i can better use the wheel and pedals. I'm sitting on the floor with the wheel attached to my chair and the pedals being propped up by a old stable table with the rest of my body being kept in place by a ton of pillows, blankets, and my bed as my main rest lol. Need something that wont require building everytime I go to play.

Anyways after doing some rebalancing of my RX-8 C class tune I've managed to drop 1.7seconds from my lap times! I'll be updating my RX-8 tune shortly

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:54 pm

That's a nice setup indeed. Love the idea of the sponge. The brakes are so bloody touchy otherwise - nothing like a real car - you can't feel when you are about to lock. At least the sponge will give a bit of resistance.
Wouldn't hurt on the accelerator either for those RWD high powered no traction control take offs!
I use pedals on floor and wheel on knees at the moment, but might construct something better soon. I did have a really cool setup on my original xbox - I built a thing which incorporated seat, pedals holder and steering wheel holder. Worked really well till the wheel started to fail. It's still in the shed - might see if I can modify it to fit the xbox360 wheel.
Chris
OctarineDream
OctarineDream

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Ahoy,
just pulled my old Xbox original steering wheel rig outta the shed, and the new one fits pretty well into it. It forces me to drive with two feet since the underside of the steering wheel holder stops my legs moving around.
I have to redo the foot pedals holding bit, as the old MadCatz pedals were a bit different, but it still works well.
The chair is a surprisingly comfy low sitting chair that used to sit by the pool where I used to live. The front of it is hooked through the section holding the wheel, which stops it from moving around.
The only issue is that it's not easy to get in and out of - kinda have to concertina your legs into it (just like a real race car!). I didn't want the wheel too high or too far forwards, so that's they way it is. I could work out some sort of hinging thing, but that would be just silly. Laughing
TV is a 37" Samsung. Nice chunky speaker you see there which I've had for years (other one is off to the right). Nothing like a couple of decent 12" subs to feel the V8 rumble onto the track. Smile There are also some surround speakers that I built myself up to the left (out of this photo).
Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!! Xbox_s10

OD
OctarineDream
OctarineDream

Back to top Go down

Post by RU four 86 Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Where's the Eski!
RU four 86
RU four 86

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:46 pm

hmm good point - will work on that.
After just driving it for a bit, I think I've gotten taller since I made it. Might have to move the seat back. Smile
OctarineDream
OctarineDream

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitch Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:58 pm

thats neat man
Mitch
Mitch
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by iWolf Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi thought I'd post a pic of my set up as well.

Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!! Wheel_setup

its a rough prototype.
But its portable, solid as a rock and does away with the wheel mounting clamp so thats not in the way.
And the wheel and pedals are always ready to go.
I know, the chair is really suss. But its best I can do right now.

Got ideas for a permanent/portable rig including a decent seat. But thats gonna take some time.
iWolf
iWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Tis good - what's holding the wheel to the wood then?
I have been thinking about making one like this for my couch so I don't have the big clunker in the room.
OctarineDream
OctarineDream

Back to top Go down

Post by iWolf Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:44 pm

The wheel is attached to its base the same way as with the MS clamping boss. Except theres no quick release.
Remember this was all made from bits I had around the place. Not over pretty, but works just fine. The permanent rig will be much better, but this got me racing.

Platform for the wheel is made from 12mm plywood.
Its got two pieces of 20 x 3 steel flat bar bent unto a"U" shape and attached to the plywood and inserted into the slots on the wheel body. Used some bike tube rubber to protect the plastic on the wheel body.
Then made a metal plate to fit in the slot under the base. Where the STD clamp clips in. Except mine is held by a small bolt. Won't come apart accidentally! Didn't need to modify the wheel body or damage it in any way.
The other metal parts hold the wheel base to the support leg.
I can adjust reach by about 50mm and wheel angle by about 15 degrees.

Steering Wheel stetups. Show us yours!!!! IMG_1929
iWolf
iWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Love it iWolf - you must have lotsa good equipment in the shed for this kinda thing.
Might see how much spare timber I have in the shed and see if I can put together something similar. Smile
OctarineDream
OctarineDream

Back to top Go down

Post by iWolf Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:14 am

Thanks Octarine.

Have accumulated enough basic tools, but nothing fancy. Though if you've got no tools then I guess I've got a lot. Don't have a workshop at all. I do have a 100mm vice bolted to an old piece of heavy benchtop thats good enough for holding things while I'm working, and thats about it. I'm lucky that I can usually find a way to get things done with what I've got.

Am happy to help if you, or anyone else on the forum wants more info about my current wheel stand and how its put together.
Not that hard really, if you can use a few tools without hurting yourself.
iWolf
iWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:34 am

wow fellas.
Im just sitting mine on my lap still.
Time for me to upgrade i believe.
Construction or purchase will begin this w/end coming, apparently one of my brothers mates has an awesome one he is getting rid off, so hopefully some negotiations will take place, im trying to swap my mini couch for it!! heres hoping he takes it (although theres not much need for the back end of a mini as a couch...ahaha)
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34

Back to top Go down

Post by iWolf Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:42 pm

I couldn't handle driving with the wheel sitting on my lap. Wobbled all over the place every time you used the pedals and jumping about when force feedback kicks in.

Reckon you're gonna be amazed when you get the wheel locked down on a stand of some sort.

What levels do you have force feedback set at with the wheel in your lap?
iWolf
iWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:15 pm

I use to have it locked down, but as i got better I dropped the whole lock down thing, it doesnt really affect my driving now (been using a wheel since FM2 was released, i got it in the bundle).
But im sure a little bit of stability would help no doubt.

My feedback i think is at 87%, i didnt like some of the full rumble effects for smaller things that gave massive rumble so i dropped it down. Any thoughts??

Will have to check the settings, havent done any adjustments, just used what i had for FM2
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next