OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Viewpoint When racing

+9
crimson eagle73
Dazza4610
mystery
Sleuth 101
Goomf
SunCrossed
surferofthemind
Sly Dux
Dektra
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Viewpoint When racing Empty Viewpoint When racing

Post by crimson eagle73 Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:16 pm

What viewpoint do you guys use?
I've been mucking around and found I am significantly quicker on the lower classes using third person, plus I can better see all those other cars around me. The only issue is that I don't have a rear view out of the car. (which is easy enough to fix with pressing a button to look back.
When you guys run series, does anyone ever restrict viewpoint? Is third person frowned upon for whatever reason?

crimson eagle73
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Viewpoint When racing Empty Re: Viewpoint When racing

Post by Dektra Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Personally I use bonnet cam for online racing, and in car for most when offline.
I like the realism that in car brings, but it cuts out too much of the screen to se online
Dektra
Dektra
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by RU four 86 Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:24 pm

Me too, use bonnet cam but for different reasons. I like at times in car but only Right hand drive. I don't like behind car views, its a personal thing but I generally look at the car and screw things up.

In some previous series and/or casual races, view have been locked but only to in car as I recoil. personally I think you should be able to drive in what ever view you prefer rather than being restricted.

RU

Last edited by RU four 86 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
RU four 86
RU four 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sly Dux Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:33 pm

I normally run in car unless the view is well restricted then I will use bonnet cam. Quite a few guys run behind car for racing. I just can't find any speed in third person myself.
Sly Dux
Sly Dux
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by surferofthemind Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:28 pm

I prefer bonnet cam as I find some of the in-car views a little too claustrophobic. And I sit a little to the right for that right hand drive feel in any car, lol. In-car view is used on almost every car I drive at some point so I can check them out but for racing bonnet all the way.

Still can not get the hang of 3rd person... First car game I played was Test Drive (the original game) and it was 1st person so never really got into 3rd person view other than in Mario Kart.

As a painter I would rather see my livery in action via a replay rather than in 3rd person view. After a car is painted it goes for a test drive to see how it looks on track then I quit but watch the car drive on its own for a lap or two to see the livery in action before I go back to the menu.

For any series or lobby I would never lock down the view. If a particular series calls for it then got no choice.
surferofthemind
surferofthemind
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by crimson eagle73 Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:24 pm

Yeah Surfer... getting to look at your paints in race is pretty cool. I used to go bonnet view, but Third is working for me atm. I don't agree with those who say in car view is more realistic. Since I race with a wheel, having two wheels is a little dumb (but I guess it makes sense seeing most race with a controller.)
I guess you drive with whatever floats your boat. But there are times where you can see far more in third person chase.

crimson eagle73
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by SunCrossed Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm a cockpit for everything now, I just like it more, admittedly don't always know where people are which is difficult sometimes and I get no visual cues like the chase view but immersion is better I feel, No that Crimson brings it up two wheels is weird, but it's still may favourite, as it has a nice claustrophobic feel to it when racing... =)

I should use bonnet for racing I think, may help, but not likely... =)

I find the chase view very strange now, used to be chase till Forza 3 and forced myself to cockpit, and haven't looked back, pun unintended as I do look back then promptly overcook a corner...

The brief testing of pCARS helmet cam was pretty awesome actually, but even more claustrophobic... If I can ever get that damn thing to work with my wheel again I'd like to give it another bash...
SunCrossed
SunCrossed
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystery Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:51 pm

I race in car and some cars have very restricted views out the window and alot don't have a good review mirrior which I think T10 should have made adjustabe. You can wind out your in car view in the options menu using the multi screen option.

I've heard chatter that 3rd person view can be an advantage because of the perspective of the corner and apex, I use it in tuning sometimes to get a perspective of what the car is doing under certain conditions.

The car view doesn't alter car handling physics so I guess it can be argued it's not an assist but that depends on how restricted the in car view is. I think that agrument is really case by case.
mystery
mystery
Advanced Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Waffelz Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:30 pm

Third person view on a controller, bonnet view when I used to have a wheel. I don't know why I use 3rd person, but I have since I can remember playing videogames
Waffelz
Waffelz
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Goomf Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:23 am

I think if there is going to be any locking, cockpit view should be the only option looked at.

I'm sure this will be disputed and fair enough but I don't see locking cockpit view as much different to other restrictions that are put in place for a series. Tire compounds, wheelbases, the cars themselves, certain tracks, etc, suit everyone differently but we all have to comply if you want in. You're going to all the trouble of trying to have series representing nice and close to the real world by way of car builds, livery bases, etc, so why not the most realistic view? Yes it's harder because you can't see as much but everyone's in the same boat and like everything else, it comes down to practise. There are some sections of track I just have to use the force because of sunlight glare, the lie of the track, or I'm bunched up with other drivers. But that's all part of the experience isn't it? If you know everyone else is feeling/seeing the same thing, you don't mind. I think at the end of the day it makes for a better racing experience.

I enjoy cockpit and tend to race it so sure I will have an initial advantage over those that don't. Others will and do have an advantage over me in many other areas. However, while cockpit is my preferred realism view (although some cockpits are absolute bastards), I'd be far more competitive in bonnet cam. I'd rather come last immersed in the game though than first in a view that reminds me I'm in a game.

Personally I think any serious series should have cockpit locked, line off, and assists according to the cars, eg. I understand V8 Supercars don't have Traction Control etc. Do what you want on more casual nights like your Thursdays & possibly Fridays, but anything like the V8 Series (especially that it seems to be the core event here) I think should have these restrictions.

Be warned, I've just had an intense curry so flame away at your discretion. moon
Goomf
Goomf
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleuth 101 Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:43 am

Hey Goomf, that would all be fine in a simulation game, but unfortunatly Forza 4 is not, there are just to many short comings with the game to be a simulation but in saying that there is also many great things with it also.(why we keep trying to make a simulation game out of it with builds, locked in view is beyond me, just accepting the game for what it is and enjoying the racing with others is the main thing)

Locking people into specs and builds is one thing which normally is pretty well done when testing and parity across the cars is achieved, but forcing them to use certain views while racing is taking fun away and as much as some enjoy the in car view, alot dont, while it might be good in car view for a certain series now and then, I personally dont think it is justified for others including the V8's, maybe an organiser can lock those that like and use in car view to 3rd person view or bonnet so the in car view peeps can drive like that for a change in a series event!!! Kinda silly really isnt it, but same same.

So given there is so many generations across different ages and likes and dislikes on the forum, locking set views could be excluding some who would normally race, I'm sure thats not what the admin wants or race organisers.

Personally I use bonnet view but do also use in car view at times for a change and more enjoy bonnet view racing, for me being forced into something I dont like in views would take the OZFM racing series experience away from me as I'm sure it would others!!!

Last edited by SG1 RAZOR on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Sleuth 101
Sleuth 101
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by crimson eagle73 Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 am

Goomf wrote:I think if there is going to be any locking, cockpit view should be the only option looked at.

I'm sure this will be disputed and fair enough but I don't see locking cockpit view as much different to other restrictions that are put in place for a series. ...

I think at the end of the day it makes for a better racing experience.

... However, while cockpit is my preferred realism view (although some cockpits are absolute bastards), I'd be far more competitive in bonnet cam. I'd rather come last immersed in the game though than first in a view that reminds me I'm in a game.

Personally I think any serious series should have cockpit locked, line off, and assists according to the cars, eg. I understand V8 Supercars don't have Traction Control etc. Do what you want on more casual nights like your Thursdays & possibly Fridays, but anything like the V8 Series (especially that it seems to be the core event here) I think should have these restrictions.

I have tried cockpit view, but the viewpoint is restricted too much in far to many cars. What makes cockpit view any more realistic? As I said before. I race with a wheel, so what is so realistic about having two wheels while I race?
For a serious race series, I believe you need things that help mitigate the risk of accidents. Restricting viewpoint to in-car only would only cause accidents because the view is restricted. And I don't care how good you are, you cannot see all cars in a crowd, especially side by side coming up to a corner.
No brake line is a bit more of a debatable one imho. Sometimes no brake line will make you faster because you're not conditioned to slow down on the red. I've found you pay far more attention to what other drivers are doing thus it has a potential to mitigate risk. But no brake line is only useful if all the players know the track well.

In the end, I feel that it is a game we are playing on a television using an xbox. Enjoy it how you want, especially in regards to things which have absolutely no effect whatsoever on other players like viewpoint. In car is no more or less realistic than bumper/bonnet/ or third person chase. What would the outcry be if we locked down the controller to steering wheel only due to people thinking that it is 'more realistic'?

crimson eagle73
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by sempeR Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:53 am

I run behind car far.

We've been running in a series over the last few weeks where view has been locked to in car. It was touted as a fun series, so I didn't mind being uncompetitive. Or crashing into people, crashing on my own or crashing into other people who had crashed.

When you force someone to run a different view you are changing more than just a view point. Every static marker you know becomes useless. Braking and turn-in points need to be found again, what you aim for over a crest is different. Even just silly things that frustrate the hell out of you, like that marker down the end of straight you use to check your speed at to tell if you had an awesome run out of the previous corner or not, well you cant quite reference that at the same time anymore so you end up with a different speed compared to your normal view. All these things combined play havoc in ones head.

It may seem unbelievable but all these things absolutely done my head in during the swift series. I'd hate to see the effect if I caused that much havoc in a series Tuesday night series. Did somebody say keep forza fun?
sempeR
sempeR
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystery Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 am

I agree with Goomf in principle and see OZFM as geared to favour those using assists. That is a lame clam to fame and frustrating when you watch the car in front of you loose it only to be saved by assists and keep on driving or dive bomb you because they are racing 3rd person and can see everything around their car and don't consider other drivers aren't doing the same.... Yep fun for the assisted driver... that's OZFM's slogan.... that's what people are saying isn't it!!!!!!

Really this fun fun fun approach is creating a race to the bottom and limits people progressing to turning off all assists.

I'm not saying no one should ever use assists I'm simply pointing out the general mentality on OZFM towards this subject.
mystery
mystery
Advanced Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 am

mystery wrote:I agree with Goomf in principle and see OZFM as geared to favour those using assists. That is a lame clam to fame and frustrating when you watch the car in front of you loose it only to be saved by assists and keep on driving or dive bomb you because they are racing 3rd person and can see everything around their car and don't consider other drivers aren't doing the same.... Yep fun for the assisted driver... that's OZFM's slogan.... that's what people are saying isn't it!!!!!!

Really this fun fun fun approach is creating a race to the bottom and limits people progressing to turning off all assists.

I'm not saying no one should ever use assists I'm simply pointing out the general mentality on OZFM towards this subject.

Create a series/race using the settings YOU want and see how many turn up. Simple.

Got me stuffed why some people that hate this place so much keep coming back.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by sempeR Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:04 pm

mystery wrote:Yep fun for the assisted driver... that's OZFM's slogan.... that's what people are saying isn't it!!!!!!

Well, that escalated quickly.

Im going to go ahead now and say racing in car is an assist, because you dont have a rear view mirror in third person. Trollollololol
sempeR
sempeR
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystery Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Dazza4610 wrote:
mystery wrote:I agree with Goomf in principle and see OZFM as geared to favour those using assists. That is a lame clam to fame and frustrating when you watch the car in front of you loose it only to be saved by assists and keep on driving or dive bomb you because they are racing 3rd person and can see everything around their car and don't consider other drivers aren't doing the same.... Yep fun for the assisted driver... that's OZFM's slogan.... that's what people are saying isn't it!!!!!!

Create a series/race using the settings YOU want and see how many turn up. Simple.

Got me stuffed why some people that hate this place so much keep coming back.

That's one of the most arrogant presumptuous statements I heard in a while. If you have got a problem with acknowledging people racing without assists then state what it is. Your attitude is my point in case. Forza rewards drivers for turning off assists but it doesn't stop people using them. OZFM does not do this why????
mystery
mystery
Advanced Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystery Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 pm

sempeR wrote:
mystery wrote:Yep fun for the assisted driver... that's OZFM's slogan.... that's what people are saying isn't it!!!!!!

Well, that escalated quickly.

Im going to go ahead now and say racing in car is an assist, because you dont have a rear view mirror in third person. Trollollololol

Well according to Forza it is Ha ha Smile

Some cars I don't think so cause the view/mirror is good and as I said before it doesn't alter the physics
mystery
mystery
Advanced Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by sempeR Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:15 pm

But it very much alters the feel.

Back and fourth, back and fourth... Razz
sempeR
sempeR
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Waffelz Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:30 pm

The main problem is policing what assist people use G, the only way you can acknowledge someone not using assists over someone who is in the lobby is by a honor system just believing what they say. To me there is no way we should award people for not using assists without having a proper way to police it.

Also speaking honestly I do not feel that veiwpoint is an assist, and I don't think Forza actually rewards extra XP for using cockpit view
Waffelz
Waffelz
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by crimson eagle73 Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:45 pm

mystery wrote:.. or dive bomb you because they are racing 3rd person and can see everything around their car and don't consider other drivers aren't doing the same

Poor sportsmanship has nothing at all to do with viewpoint and everything to do with being an ass. I have been taken out by 'fast drivers' who use 'no assists' because they could not wait to find a passing move. And this does not mean that all the 'no assist' drivers do this. And usually they say, 'well, your fault cause you shouldn't need to brake there.' (note I'm not talking about brake checking here)
If you dive bomb from way back and cut people on the inside of the corner causing an accident then you are not driving to the COC and should be punished, but nobody ever is because no one will ever make a complaint and follow it up.
BTW how do you even know you're being taken out by someone driving in chase view?

crimson eagle73
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by sempeR Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Do we have an incident report system? It would be something i would be interested in helping/running
sempeR
sempeR
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Waffelz Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Viewpoint When racing 30598810
Waffelz
Waffelz
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by RU four 86 Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:30 pm

here we go again!

from a simple question about peoples race view, the crap's out again about whats fair and whats not..

well, heres a few more to discuss about whats an assist to others.

1. Maps, I seen any real race car use a Tom Tom, gee that must be an assist

2. practice, again most races I see only have a specified practice allotment. those who practice every day/night before a round must have a advantage.

3. Cable v broadband, Im sure theres an advantage there!

4. TV size, a big 60inch over a little 36inch and then there's full HD or not, what an advantage

5. Families and crying kids, what a disadvantage. we better hire kids out to everyone before the start so we all have the same conditions.

that will keep you all going till the next real argument/debate about whats an advantage to one and not another, really what a lot of crap about what this forum stands for and who it assists...

sorry Crismon, this place is just not a place to post anything anymore, without smart ass comments and whats an assist to outers.

I no longer have any interest to be a member of this place and will not return, Dazza it has nothing to do with race setups that stop people from joining in, its the crap here.

RU out
RU four 86
RU four 86

Back to top Go down

Post by surferofthemind Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:54 pm

Again we see another thread asking a simple question, getting feedback and ends off with a heated debate causing another member to sign off...
Mad

I am going to lock this thread. I know that someone will think that we are abusing our powers by locking it but personally I am sick of some of the crap happening here and this thread shows it.

redcard

Feel free to PM if needed.
surferofthemind
surferofthemind
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next