OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza 5 braking issues

+7
TheAlfheim
SunCrossed
Envy The Best
ausfez
Mitch
Sly Dux
XYvSTUvYX
11 posters

Go down

Forza 5 braking issues Empty Forza 5 braking issues

Post by ausfez Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:46 pm

I had a look online and there doesn't seem to be a clear answer for my issue.

I've been playing Forza since FM2 and never have used ABS. Was always confident when coming into the braking zone that I knew how hard I could squeeze the trigger and still pull the car up in time while racing right on the limit. Finally got an Xbox One and downloaded FM5. Jump into my first race (with settings I always used for previous FM games) and immediately the car locks up the front brakes and I slam into the wall. Fair enough maybe I just have to get used to the new triggers. The next race the same thing, and after a few weeks I am confident it is not my fingers getting over keen on the brake trigger. I put ABS on and still could feel the brakes locking under only 50% trigger pressure. Went into the controller settings, changed the dead zones. Still no good, upgrade the brakes and tune them to 60% (Used to run 120+% with the old games) and while it is bearable it means I have to upgrade every single cars brakes I use, if I want to hire a car for a bit of fun I can forget that knowing that it will lock the brakes and I will slam into the wall or another player. I even copied the exact dead zone settings over from FM3+FM4. I have put up this issue for a while but I don't have any confidence going into the braking zones or to race without ABS.

I noticed it back in FM4 aswell when I would play at my mates house. He had the newer slim x360 with newer controllers and I put it down to his braking set-ups/controller dead zone. However the same thing is now happening to my Xbox One. It's incredibly frustrating and I was wondering if anyone on here has the same issue or knows what settings to use to fix the trigger locking issue?

tl;dr
My trigger sensitivity locks my brakes after about 50%, tried dead zone and tuning to no avail. Can anyone help?
ausfez
ausfez
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Forza 5 braking issues Empty Re: Forza 5 braking issues

Post by Mitch Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 am

I've noticed the same issue with both the controller and my steering wheel: at the moment, every time I hit the brakes, it's a lucky dip to whether the bludger will lock up or not.

In my opinion with the controller, the XBONE triggers are significantly lighter than those on the 360, which is off putting after 8 years of 360 gaming.

I have put a sponge behind the brake pedal on my Thrustmaster setup and it has allowed more consistency BUT I find each cat inconsistent, and like yourself, finding that the very first upgrade is Race brakes.

Tuning wise, I have noticed the severity of my lockups reduced when I increased the castor on some vehicles.....I was trying to get my head around the extremities and overall feel (and still am).....but in the majority of time cars that I have mucked around with so far, having a castor of 6.5~6.8 did actually assist in reducing lockups significantly.
Mitch
Mitch
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by XYvSTUvYX Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:08 am

I just got used to it. Takes a while just be real light
XYvSTUvYX
XYvSTUvYX
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sly Dux Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:09 am

You will get used to it everybody had the same problem on release as well. Practice practice RAGE practice is how I got used to it, Brake in a straight line as well (you already know this probably) because turning and braking seems to accentuate the lock ups in f5. Good luck!
Sly Dux
Sly Dux
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Envy The Best Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:39 am

Try turning the vibration off. Found that was more of a hindrance than a benefit.
Envy The Best
Envy The Best
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by sempeR Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Almost everybody had this problem. It takes a lot of raging before you get used to it, believe me, so understand your frustration! Maxing out the dead zones for the brake trigger was a good move, alot of us have done this. My advice would be to stick with 100% brake pressure and tough it out (as harsh as that may sound), so you can race stock cars or cars with stock brakes with no problems once you get used to it. It's just a matter of finding that sweet spot. I've also turned my rumble down to 50 which may have helped even though I only did this to prolong battery life.
sempeR
sempeR
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitch Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:59 pm

Above is true.

Be safe to say the braking threshold is smaller then it's ever been, and perhaps not a realistic as one would like, but seems perseverance is the key. And some profanity.
Mitch
Mitch
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by hillcrest Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:36 pm

I seem to be the only one who hasn't had trouble. I left the rumble on in my triggers though so maybe thats why
hillcrest
hillcrest
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by ausfez Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 am

Thanks for the help fellas. I turned off ABS last night and slowly am getting used to the braking, still no where near the confidence I used to have but enough to be bearable. I'm glad I wasn't the only having the issue.
ausfez
ausfez
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by SunCrossed Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:12 pm

This is good to know I noticed something similar with the Thrustmaster pedals very hit and miss, but millimeters is hard to judge when using a foot and that is what appears to be required. Nearly have my basherboard for my Clubsport pedals so may be a non issue soon.
SunCrossed
SunCrossed
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Envy The Best Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:26 pm

SunCrossed wrote:This is good to know I noticed something similar with the Thrustmaster pedals very hit and miss, but millimeters is hard to judge when using a foot and that is what appears to be required. Nearly have my basherboard for my Clubsport pedals so may be a non issue soon.

Are they load cell brakes?
Envy The Best
Envy The Best
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by SunCrossed Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:12 pm

Envy The Best wrote:
SunCrossed wrote:This is good to know I noticed something similar with the Thrustmaster pedals very hit and miss, but millimeters is hard to judge when using a foot and that is what appears to be required. Nearly have my basherboard for my Clubsport pedals so may be a non issue soon.

Are they load cell brakes?

Nope, standard pedals made even worse by a really short movement. They are terrible pedals. Hence the basherboard and getting Clubsport pedals back in the mix. It is just a night and day experience.
SunCrossed
SunCrossed
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAlfheim Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi guys,

Ive had similar experiences in the 1-2 times Ive played with ABS off (although I have no prior Forza titles to compare with).

After you've learned how to drive effectively with ABS off, is there a meaningful improvement to lap time compared to it being on?

TheAlfheim
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by sempeR Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 pm

When fm3 was introduced there was noticeable gains to be made by switching to no abs. Since then I've never gone back to using it but I would assume there's still gains to be made by running without abs. Maybe someone here can confirm for you.
sempeR
sempeR
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Double D Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:27 pm

yeah ive made the swap this game and still not taking advantage of the full potential of it, id say theres an easy 2 to 3 tenths a lap maybe more
The Double D
The Double D
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by CosmicChimera Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:38 pm

TheAlfheim wrote:Hi guys,

Ive had similar experiences in the 1-2 times Ive played with ABS off (although I have no prior Forza titles to compare with).

After you've learned how to drive effectively with ABS off, is there a meaningful improvement to lap time compared to it being on?

In my experience, I'm much faster without ABS - but that's mostly because racing without assists has forced me to become a better driver (still slow by many standards Razz ).
I've made greater improvements to lap times (by far) since being challenged by the excellent competition that the OZFM community offers. Jump right in the deep end, I say Laughing 
CosmicChimera
CosmicChimera
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by hillcrest Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:29 pm

For me running without ABS is more of a control thing, I feel like I can slow the car down far more efficiently and I can find the limits of the car without ABS. I still lock up every now and then but it feels more natural and far less mechanical
hillcrest
hillcrest
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down