OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roll off delays, restarts, rolling starts

+17
puttzNZ
Lt HELI
JamieWhincup#1
FrankTank
Don Stylz
baconterrain
NoRecoil
Whittie260
XYvSTUvYX
iWolf
Gun Fir3
feralcobra
Arckon
Sleuth 101
Dazza4610
TEEROY 34
OctarineDream
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Roll off delays, restarts, rolling starts - Page 3 Empty Re: Roll off delays, restarts, rolling starts

Post by stikman Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:19 pm

I totally agree with this, i think if you feel the need to apologise to someone you know you've f'd up and should relinquish the position if you've gained anything.

It's not rocket science, don't dive down the inside stupidly late

If you're behind someone in the draft travelling at a faster pace than the car in front, you know you gotta brake earlier.

And if you do take the inside line you better make sure you can stay on it coz you can bet the other person will be trying to hold position on the outside.. you'll need another corner or 2 to make the move stick.. so that means taking the next corner on the inside or out (depending on direction) if there's anything less than a meter 5 gap don't take the apex..

Running wide on exit will sometimes take both of you out, not cool.. Be aware of the cars around you, it's more important than the position you're in..

stikman
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Roll off delays, restarts, rolling starts - Page 3 Empty Re: Roll off delays, restarts, rolling starts

Post by Sleuth 101 Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:30 pm

All we are doing is bouncing ideas and interest in as the topic suggests "Roll of Delays, Restarts, Rolling Starts" that is all.

Change is always hard to implement but its a changing enviroment/bigger lobbies and ideas are just that, ideas, trial it and then see.

Personally I have been involved in races where a rolling start has worked and worked well, its been used in races/leagues/series since FM2 maybe even earlier. The reason for this was to reduce first corner congestion and first lap incidents.

Oviously for this to even be considered to work it needs to have similar cars, on par with each other, ie wtcc, v8's, same spec tune races, GT Spec races, ect ect.

Anyways that is all, up to you guys.

Sleuth 101
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Hey Sleuth,

I'm up for giving it a go at some stage. I do remember in the ARSE series there were frequent stuff ups where one car would break incorrectly or whatever and cause a chain reaction down the line. However, ARSE was a pretty casual series so noone was taking it too seriously (and there was no damage so it didn't really matter).

With a rolling start, would we do it in single file, or in the start formation?

In one of our starts Tuesday night, I was quite some distance back from Tasty coming up to the first corner, and then something went wrong in front of him so he had to brake earlier and harder than usual. I was still on the gas as I thought we had a good 100m till the braking area and I couldn't even swerve fast enough so I completely rear ended him. I was in the wrong (since I hit him), but I really don't think there was much I could do about it. You can watch the car in front of you as much as you want - sometimes stuff happens when you least expect it, and an apology is no use if the poor bugger you hit has to do 15 laps with no rear aero! Smile

Needless to say, I was much more careful in the restart and was happy to let some cars past if it meant my car wasn't broken (and I didn't break anyone else). Just a shame RU got so far ahead of me. tongue

I guess what I'm saying is that first and foremost everyone needs to watch those first corners (esp. tricky ones like Nurb where the first 4 corners are difficult). Next is to work out what to do when something goes wrong. I think a restart is necessary, and if that fails again, then perhaps the rolling start.

Chris (OD)
OctarineDream
OctarineDream
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by FrankTank Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:41 am

I think everyone needs to be especially careful when they know other cars are close. Unfortunately even with special care - stuff happens...

Because of that we really do need to solidify a contingency plan that works when things go wrong. I personally don't think that a rolling start is a bad idea, but I think we'd need to do some trial runs with a mix of drivers to see how it would work....
FrankTank
FrankTank
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3