OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New TV time, whatchagot?

+11
JamieWhincup#1
TEEROY 34
Zabbey21
Sleuth 101
Dazza4610
Dektra
Sly Dux
STONDKIWI
stikman
SunCrossed
Don Stylz
15 posters

Go down

New TV time, whatchagot? Empty New TV time, whatchagot?

Post by baconterrain Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:38 am

After about 5-6 years my made in Japan Hitachi has served me well. But its time for an upgrade and something bigger than 32inch!!

I dont have a massive lounge room but a 46-50inch is what i'm aiming at and want to no what you guys use, have used, like and hate?

I work in TV as an editor so pic quality is paramount. I havent looked at TVs for a long time and the market is flooded with 3D smart tvs and some cheap prices. Reviews on the internet are all over the place and can vary quite a bit.

Dont care much about 3D or Apps but gaming and overall pic quality is what im looking for.

It took me a good 6months to finally decide on my Hitachi.
Because you guys are all so smart and probably have some nice setups i would like to hear from use. Very Happy
baconterrain
baconterrain
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

New TV time, whatchagot? Empty Re: New TV time, whatchagot?

Post by Don Stylz Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:38 pm

I have a samsung 50" its plasma thought as its a bit of a older tv.. but it has been great.. coulor and pic quality is good to Very Happy
Don Stylz
Don Stylz
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by iWolf Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:22 pm

I'm using a 6yr old 42" Panasonic Plasma its been good apart from a problem just out of std warranty period. I'm also looking to replace it.

Bits I've read online so far suggest that plasma still delivers better picture quality for size than led/lcd. Is also cheaper for size, but still uses more power and the panels are overall heavier.

Beware the manufacturer blurbs, theres a lot of sales speak to wade through. Also if your read forums, you'll mostly read stuff written by people having problems with their gear. Not many people go online to boost up the stuff that works well. But they sure have a moan about things that don't.

I'm leaning toward led/lcd around 50-55".
But haven't made any decisions yet, so am interested to read about experiences here as well.

Consider getting extended warranty with whatever you buy. Too expensive to repair/replace and only rely on the standard 12mts waranty.
iWolf
iWolf
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by baconterrain Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

So many models! Definitely a LED LCD for me probably a 46".
Been looking at SONY Bravia KDL46HX850 online today at work and reveiws are mostly good, its the latest from sony.
I need something that can handle a pretty bright room during the day so the screen has be not to reflective ie. shiny.

Been looking all day whilst working and the more i look the more i find. Hate being so picky. But through speaking to some engineers here at Foxtel they seem to rate the Sony's. They reckon the last year or two they've been playing catch up to Samsung and are on par if not better than latest offering from Samsung. But also say most will LCDs from most brands are good. Im going to set a price limit and go from there, me thinks.

The search begins....

baconterrain
baconterrain
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by SunCrossed Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:35 pm

I have a Panasonic 50" plasma TH-P50V10A I bought 3 years ago. Made in Japan, was rated as high as the Kuro, still a brilliant TV and will only get replaced with a 4K panel so I can go bigger without it looking bad... I prefer Panasonic, but seems they are still excellent panels. LG bad... I don't know how LED LCD's deal with high speed movement these days. I'd say Samsung over Sony at the end of the day...

Seems Plasma is still better in the picture stakes, I agree, but I am bias, I take picture over extra power and heat any day!
LCD/LED vs Plasma

Interesting from Cnet but you know everything is bias
Cnet

Matte screens are the go these days...
SunCrossed
SunCrossed
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by stikman Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 pm

I bought a 55" LG the other day, $1200. Awesome picture, PC hooks up to it no probs, has 600hz etc, life's good lol.
I replaced a Samsung, wouldn't buy there stuff again. Had a lot of trouble with it losing connection through hdmi which isn't good going round a corner in forza then the screen goes black.. The VGA port didn't recognise the PC.. Wasn't up to scratch..
But at the end of the day you choose man, if you got 2-3k I'd go Sony above most, if you want good price lg:)

stikman
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by STONDKIWI Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Got a new 42inch samsung has all the bells and whistles but if it qualty u want then lg is the one . I run my xbox on a 22inch lg using the xbox vga cords and have never seen anything better makes hdmi look poo
STONDKIWI
STONDKIWI
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sly Dux Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:40 pm

i have a samsung 32" lcd tv. I thought ib read somewhere once that samsung and microsoft had a deal going but that may have been with the old surround sound systems. I think as long as you buy a well known name you should be pretty right these days. What ever you get it will be worth a quarter of the price in 3 months anyways. I love my samsung iz nice but i spent some time getting the game mode set up. Saw a 46" lg led and that looked sweet as too and i Have a mate with a 70" led lg and he swears he will never buy anything else but lg again. Good luck mate
Sly Dux
Sly Dux
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dektra Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm running a 32 inch Samsung. No hickups so far. bought it 2 years ago tomorrow
Dektra
Dektra

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:00 pm

Lounge room - 50" Panasonic Viera Plasma
Xbox - 50" LG Plasma
Bedroom - 39" Panasonic Viera Led LCD

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleuth 101 Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Panasonic plasma vierra link in lounge, as vierra link allows you to control everything from the one remote, ie surround sound, dvd's, blu ray as long as its panasonic I think... works well.

For gaming and gaming only if you can get up close, ie racing simulator/desk, I think a dedicated monitor like a pc monitor is the go, ie lcd with led back lighting and 2ms response time with good contrast and brightness ratios and the added advantages of PiP and Display port.

An example of what I think is a good middle of the range gaming monitor below.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1213&products_id=16025
Sleuth 101
Sleuth 101
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Zabbey21 Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:06 am

At the moment, the lounge-room rig is about a 2 year-old Soniq 40" LCD. I haven't had any problems with it at all apart from sometimes the sound dropping out (better than the whole TV turning off *cough*clarkson*cough*)

I got a nice new 32" Soniq LCD screen for my room and the display on that is pretty good. Nice picture and sound quality.

I'm not that good with TV's but Soniq don't seem to be that bad of a brand. If you want top of the line I'd try Samsung, Sony or LG
Zabbey21
Zabbey21
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by iWolf Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:56 am

So, I went shopping for a new shirt this morning.

Walking through MYER to get to the shops and they had Sony KDL55HX850 for $1999.
They also have a 20% sale going for today only. Hit the sales lady up for a price and it came down to $1599 thats $900 under RRP.

Guess who bought a new TV. Wink

btw, my Panasonic plasma is for sale.
iWolf
iWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:21 pm

hey nice shirt!!!
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieWhincup#1 Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Zabbey21 wrote:At the moment, the lounge-room rig is about a 2 year-old Soniq 40" LCD. I haven't had any problems with it at all apart from sometimes the sound dropping out (better than the whole TV turning off *cough*clarkson*cough*)

I got a nice new 32" Soniq LCD screen for my room and the display on that is pretty good. Nice picture and sound quality.

I'm not that good with TV's but Soniq don't seem to be that bad of a brand. If you want top of the line I'd try Samsung, Sony or LG
Excuse me, My TV didn't turn off it just decided to change channels about 20 times. After about 3 or 4 times of doing that it was fine. But it hasn't done it for quite a while now.
JamieWhincup#1
JamieWhincup#1

Back to top Go down

Post by NoRecoil Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:46 pm

JamieWhincup#1 wrote:
Zabbey21 wrote:At the moment, the lounge-room rig is about a 2 year-old Soniq 40" LCD. I haven't had any problems with it at all apart from sometimes the sound dropping out (better than the whole TV turning off *cough*clarkson*cough*)

Excuse me, My TV didn't turn off it just decided to change channels about 20 times. After about 3 or 4 times of doing that it was fine. But it hasn't done it for quite a while now.

Dont jinx it Smile
New TV time, whatchagot? Jinx

Ive got a 3-4 year old Toshiba 46", Lacks HDMI inputs and one HDMI channel has shat itself.
Also if you change the imput while playing on the Xbox the Xbox resets
NoRecoil
NoRecoil
OZFM Series Organiser

Back to top Go down

Post by iWolf Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:03 pm

TEEROY 34 wrote:hey nice shirt!!!
ha ha, I got 2 shirts as well. Am a bit worried that the boss will come back with the mother of all wish lists.
Though she was with me when we bought the TV so she has to accept responsibility as well.
Lets see if it works out that way. silent
Sorry for the thread hijack.

@Moonpoodle, if you're quick (like today) you should get a good deal on a Sony at Myers.
iWolf
iWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by RU four 86 Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:30 pm

Cool mr wolf,
Now that you got a new TV, you might be able to see me clearer drive off into the distance! hahaha

RU
RU four 86
RU four 86

Back to top Go down

Post by baconterrain Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:22 am

Well done Mr iWolf! Thats a great price for 55"!!
I think i will get the same model in a 46" today!
Let us know what you think when you've set her up.

ps. A techo at work has the previous model HX750 and reckons the picture gets better over the first couple of months.
baconterrain
baconterrain
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by iWolf Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:05 pm

baconterrain wrote:Well done Mr iWolf! Thats a great price for 55"!!
I think i will get the same model in a 46" today!
Let us know what you think when you've set her up.

Up and running,
Self instal was easy, TV updated its firmware then we decided to talk english to each other.
After that it did an auto channel scan, set itself up on my network and found my AV receiver and set itself to play sound through it. I was waiting for it to make my lunch after that, lol.

Haven't really had a chance to play with setup, but right now I don't feel the need.
Picture is bright, clear, good colour and works well in a room with fairly strong daylight.
The improvement is like going from analogue to digital all over again - with full HD.
Will test a blu ray movie tonight.
Very happy.
iWolf
iWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by baconterrain Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:39 am

Got the Sony KDL46HX850 yesterday. Brought it home to find the house and neighbourhood blacked out. Unpacked it and waited for the power to come on.
6 hours later yes 6 hours later (not much fun looking at a new TV ready to go in candle light) the power came on and the TV came to life.

So far im quite impressed Foxtel looks ok and Xbox looks awesome.
I'll play with settings tonight.
Very Happy
baconterrain
baconterrain
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down