OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Logitech G920

+8
Steeljockey
Coralon
TheAlfheim
sillybilly77
Sleuth 101
dazza83
TunnyBear
stikman
12 posters

Go down

Logitech G920 Empty Logitech G920

Post by stikman Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:52 pm

If anyone's looking for a cheap wheel these things are & $294.25 including postage  on dick smiths ebay page. Use discount code CDICKSMITH30. Nice $120 saving.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/? nav=item.view&id=252062425057&alt=web

stikman
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Logitech G920 Empty Re: Logitech G920

Post by TunnyBear Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:41 pm

Damn! I payed 499 for it! Although I got it the day it came out I'm the inpatient type :p
TunnyBear
TunnyBear
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by dazza83 Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:53 pm

has anyone tried the g290/g29 and the thrustmaster tx wheel. how do they compare. dam tx has failed for the 3rd time. amazon are giving me the money back.

not sure if i should just get a g290 as heard they are bullet proof. or get a new tx from pagnian.

dazza83
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleuth 101 Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:54 am

The TX is a better wheel, smoother and personally I like the larger size wheel itself, the G920 pedals are better than the stock TX pedals by a fair bit and require no modding with the brake feeling pretty good with good resistance. Overall the G920 is a good wheel that works straight out of the box and easy to use, if you can afford it the Fanatec is better than both of these wheels but also on another level with pricing.

I have no regrets owning the G920, it does offer limited configurations between the G27 with the G27 shifter working minus the use of the buttons on the shifter, offers cross platform use with pc and xbox with similar settings to the G27 on pc, there is a wealth of info about G27 wheels and have been much loved for a long time by plenty of sim racers, G920 is better than G27.

The best thing about the G920 is looks and price wise it fits into a very nice bracket for console users with affordability, and is welcome as my feeling is majority of the better FFB wheels for the Xbox have been overpriced for a long time.

Always a hard choice when choosing a wheel, with pros and cons for both the TX and G920, interesting tho is the G920 at a lower price point is still able to be considered when buyers are looking for a good to high end wheel.

Sleuth 101
Sleuth 101
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by sillybilly77 Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:05 am

Sleuth 101 wrote:...offers cross platform use with pc and xbox with similar settings to the G27 on pc, there is a wealth of info about G27 wheels and have been much loved for a long time by plenty of sim racers, G920 is better than G27.

I never had a G27, but the G25 was pretty good and I have used with Playstation and PC... I have recently purchased g920 and after some initial tests it might be relegated to xbox one only in the short to medium term if there isn't some pc software to fix issues.

2nd non ad result on a google search for "logitech g920 pc" at the moment is :

G920 on PC is a disaster - Logitech Forums

Has anyone had any success running on PC with it and know if there are any recommended software versions settings etc?

sillybilly77
Advanced Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAlfheim Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Guys,

I've done a bit of looking into this - JB and Dick Smith have it at the $500 price point.

For those that have the G920, are you happy with it? (I've only ever used controller, if I got one, this would be my first wheel set up - a good move?)

One thing I havent found is how it "mounts" the pedal box to the floor - does it just stay in place on carpet? Or do you need to actually mount it to something?
(the videos Ive seen seem to indicate there's a bit of force on the brakes - I'm curious as to how the assembly stays still)

Thanks!

TheAlfheim
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by TunnyBear Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:53 am

It is really good at staying in place. The pedals have these teeth that lock onto carpet in a way that doesn't damage it (the carpet). Haven't had a problem with my pedals moving. As for the wheel itself it is fantastic! I bolt it to my desk. The FFB is awesome (especially in pCars) and it really adds to the experience. I have the shifter too and it's loads of fun. Downside is sometimes it's a bit glitchy if you want to set up a normal controller for COMS ( I find if I set the wheel up first, load up forza(or whatever game you are playing) , then turn on and set up the second controller the issue is resolved). Also the lack of DOR setting on the wheel itself where the Tx allows you to change this. I haven't personally found this to be an issue as you can change these settings in game anyway (some people prefer to change the hardware though)
TunnyBear
TunnyBear
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by Coralon Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:24 pm

TheAlfheim wrote:Hi Guys,

I've done a bit of looking into this - JB and Dick Smith have it at the $500 price point.

Thanks!
Never pay full price!
$373 at Harvey Norman until xmas eve
$355 at Umart
$349 at MSY

Verdict, locate the nearest store from the above 3 options and either go there or make JB/DSE price match if they are slightly closer/you have a preference. Get the shifter if you like a manual shifter for additional realism, it runs between $60 and $90 depending where you buy it.

As a "my first little pony" the 920 is awesome bang for your buck. I literally just discovered the little teeth Tunza mentioned, I had an old laser printer sitting in front of my pedals to hold them in place... joystick

Coralon
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by Steeljockey Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:31 pm

And for cheap mod to improve the brake pedal on Logitech wheels, look at GTEYE, based in Melbourne

Steeljockey
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAlfheim Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:41 am

TunnyBear wrote:Downside is sometimes it's a bit glitchy if you want to set up a normal controller for COMS ( I find if I set the wheel up first, load up forza(or whatever game you are playing) , then turn on and set up the second controller the issue is resolved).
You're talking about the headset that plugs in through the XBone controller, yeah?

TunnyBear wrote:Also the lack of DOR setting on the wheel itself where the Tx allows you to change this.  I haven't personally found this to be an issue as you can change these settings in game anyway (some people prefer to change the hardware though)
What's a DOR setting?

Coralon wrote:
Never pay full price!
$355 at Umart
$349 at MSY

Thanks!  I found the Umart price, but somehow missed the Harvey Norman price.  There's a HN right near my work!  They have stock!  The temptation is strong!

In terms of setting it up for Forza, is it pretty much plug and play?  Or do you have to do a bit of config/tuning?

What's the learning curve like?  Does it take a while get back to the same level of competency as with a controller?

Cheers

TheAlfheim
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by Coralon Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:24 am

To avoid confusion with comms and the way that the xbox identifies you and the controller that is assigned to you the process is that when you sign in a controller is assigned, when you start Forza it also assigns a control, usually the one that was used to start the game "Press A to Continue" screen.
Make sure you start the game with the wheel, the game will ask who you are because the wheel is not an xbox controller and thus cannot be assigned to an account... its all very complicated but this is how it works.
Once you are in the game you need to use your normal controller with the chat headset (unless you have a turtle beach or something) but with the caveat that if you do not touch the controller for a while it will assume you are away and turn off dropping comms, the reason for this is battery power saving and not that god hates you. To avoid this I use my charge and play cable (basically a long USB cable) to keep the controller powered and all is well in the world.

*wipes brow*

DOR or Degree of Rotation is a cool setting that allows you to change how much you need to 'turn' the wheel. By default you get 900 degrees which is similar to most road cars, but 900 is 2.5 turns of the wheel and at 200 kph you do not want this so you reduce it, I personally find 540 to be a good compromise between too twitchy and basically palming the wheel from lock to lock old school paddock donut style. This setting is under advanced settings for the controller in Forza options.

*wipes brow*

No problem dude, happy to help Smile

Last question... Everyone will do this different. It depends on how you want the game to feel, how responsive you want it and basically how you drive. I would start with doing a google search on Forza wheel settings in general to get a base line setup, this process will also help you learn about things like 'Outside Deceleration Deadzone' and other such things that people far smarter than I can explain. These things all matter and all combine to form... VOLTRON!!!
Wait... no... they affect how your wheel works.

Anywho (sic) its awesome fun, frivolous and obviously unneeded as I get routinely stompped by guys with controllers but it makes you feel like you are driving a fast car with reckless abandon and that is worth the entry fee in my opinion.
It will take you a little while to adapt. Expect much cursing, lamentation and general feelings of unworthiness but if you persevere you will be rewarded with lap times approximately 3% slower than what you could do with a control... or maybe you wont suck as much as me Smile

Coralon
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by TunnyBear Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:26 am

TheAlfheim wrote:
TunnyBear wrote:Downside is sometimes it's a bit glitchy if you want to set up a normal controller for COMS ( I find if I set the wheel up first, load up forza(or whatever game you are playing) , then turn on and set up the second controller the issue is resolved).
You're talking about the headset that plugs in through the XBone controller, yeah?

TunnyBear wrote:Also the lack of DOR setting on the wheel itself where the Tx allows you to change this.  I haven't personally found this to be an issue as you can change these settings in game anyway (some people prefer to change the hardware though)
What's a DOR setting?

Coralon wrote:
Never pay full price!
$355 at Umart
$349 at MSY

Thanks!  I found the Umart price, but somehow missed the Harvey Norman price.  There's a HN right near my work!  They have stock!  The temptation is strong!

In terms of setting it up for Forza, is it pretty much plug and play?  Or do you have to do a bit of config/tuning?

What's the learning curve like?  Does it take a while get back to the same level of competency as with a controller?

Cheers
1. Yep that's the headset I'm talking about. Just plug wheel in first or forza will think you want to play with the controller. To stop the headset controller from turning off, most people (myself included ). Just plug it into the back of the Xbox with sub.

2. Totally plug and play in forza Smile. It is just personal preference settings that you can change as you get used to the wheel. Everyone's preference is different. You can find all this in 'advanced settings' in control setup. DOR (degree of rotation) is one of these settings. It allows you to choose how much you want to turn the wheel to allow full lock. I'd leave this on default to start with and change it once you get the feel of the wheel.

Totally worth the money.

Regards,
Tunza

P.S LOL coralan I was the same didn't find it for about a week so you aren't the only one :p. But it makes the pedals so much steadier
TunnyBear
TunnyBear
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by TunnyBear Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:27 am

Lol what coralan said :p
TunnyBear
TunnyBear
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by TunnyBear Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:29 am

Btw coral I think the defaul DOR in forza is 540. PCars is 900 and has soft lock depending on the car
TunnyBear
TunnyBear
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAlfheim Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:37 am

Coralon wrote:No problem dude, happy to help Smile

Many, many thanks for your really long response!

TunnyBear wrote:Lol what coralan said :p
And for yours also Smile

TunnyBear wrote:To stop the headset controller from turning off, most people (myself included ). Just plug it into the back of the Xbox with sub.
Not quite sure I understand this point.
I get what you guys are saying about the controller and the communications - thanks!

Coralon wrote:Anywho (sic) its awesome fun, frivolous and obviously unneeded
Sounds good to me!

Coralon wrote:it makes you feel like you are driving a fast car with reckless abandon and that is worth the entry fee in my opinion.
You're starting to convince me!

TunnyBear wrote: Totally worth the money.
I'm really tempted to get one.  Quickly.

Coralon wrote:you will be rewarded with lap times approximately 3% slower than what you could do with a control

I'm sold!

Very Happy

TheAlfheim
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortoise Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:15 pm

Picked up my G920 from Dick Smith in one of their 24 sales for $375.
Love it.
Took a few days to get used to the brake pedal but feels great now.
Got the shifter for Christmas, adds to the immersion factor for all the gear shift cars.

If I was made of money I probably would have gone the TX and all the eco-system upgrades, but for time being my G920 is more than doing the job.
Tortoise
Tortoise
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by Neilo05 Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:14 pm

I have just purchased but waiting on delivery of my G920 and Wheel stand from Pagnian. $698 for wheel and stand. Can't wait to experience my 1st wheel on Xbox.
Neilo05
Neilo05
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by TheAlfheim Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:03 am

Hi Neilo,

I picked mine up back in December. Coralon was awesome in giving me a few pointers which saved a bunch of frustration. I'd suggest reaching out to me or him (sorry to dob you in Coralon!) to help.

As he said above, it starts off as a very frustrating experience. Day 1 I nearly threw the thing out the window - but stick with it!

-Alf

TheAlfheim
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by surferofthemind Fri May 06, 2016 6:43 pm

Those still after the Logitech G920 check out JbHiFi. They have a great deal on from now until Sunday.

$399 for the wheel with bonus shifter but get another 20% off until Sunday so you get it all for $319.20.

Be quick. I was lucky to walk into my local store today and grab the last one they had.

Got it kind of setup. The old home made rig was built for the M$ 360 wheel so have to make some mods to mount the pedals better and somewhere for the shifter. The brake pedal is something different... Will take some time to get use to it along with some tuning tweaks on both the wheel and car so it can stop. The wheel itself feels great.
surferofthemind
surferofthemind
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Tortoise Mon May 09, 2016 9:10 am

surferofthemind wrote:
The brake pedal is something different... Will take some time to get use to it along with some tuning tweaks on both the wheel and car so it can stop. The wheel itself feels great.

G'day Surfer, I found that an outside dead zone on the brake of 15-20 helps.
Tortoise
Tortoise
Drivers licence

Back to top Go down

Post by xr06t Mon May 09, 2016 11:01 am

The brake pedal will also loosen up after a little use. I haven't adjusted the dead-zone, but once bolted to the rig it seems to be all good.

In fact i haven't adjusted any of the settings at all! Can anyone share any changes they have made to the wheel settings that have improved its overall use?

xr06t
L-Plater

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down