OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to choose a wheel/pedals?

Go down

How to choose a wheel/pedals? Empty How to choose a wheel/pedals?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Now with xmas over and new year festivities at a close, I should be able to save enough cash for a wheel for the XBOX360 in the next couple of months.

I already have a G25 for the PS3 and PC. Would have liked to get an all-in-one wheel, but the price is too steep for me to justify really. I'm just not quite that dedicated with the gaming, so I'll stick with it.

So what I'd like I guess is the nice new Fanatec CSR wheel and pedals with clutch. I'll be using the paddles to shift, so the gear shifter is not a necessity. But if it was to come in a set , I wouldn't push it away.

Questions:
1. What pedals would you advise and do you have them?
2. Do any of them (pedals) have known issues that cause a real problem?
3. Do the Clubsport pedals support the vibration in Forza 4?

I guess I'd be choosing from the CSR, CSR Elite and Clubsport pedals.

Thought??? Ideas???

Back to top Go down

How to choose a wheel/pedals? Empty Re: How to choose a wheel/pedals?

Post by iWolf Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:47 pm

I've got the Fanatec clubsport pedals paired with a GT2 wheel.

They're the most SOLID pedal set I've seen and the build quality is excellent.

The biggest improvement I found after using M$ pedals and wheel for 2 years was the feel on the CS brake pedal which is actuated by a load cell. Meaning its activated by pedal pressure, the same as the brake in your car.
The brake pressure required is adjustable by an onboard rotary knob. Fanatec also produce a tuning kit for the CS pedals so you can customise the feel and pedal travel to suit you better, if you think you need to.

There is a setting on the CS pedals that will give you vibration in the brake pedal when you apply the selected brake pressure, this works with FM3 and FM4.

Theres good feel on the accelerator and clutch pedals and you can change pedal pressure with an adjusting nut or replace with lighter/heavier springs from the tuning kit.

I haven't had any problems using my pedals but a couple of members have experienced issues with not getting full accelerator in FM4, this is suppoesed to be caused by a loose screw and is fixed by tightening it Smile

I haven't had any experience of the CSR pedals so can't comment on them.

I would buy the CS pedals again if I needed to and have no hesitation recommending them.

If you're looking at playing Forza with your new rig, I think you'd be limited to the Fanatec CSR or GT2 wheels and either CSR or Clubsport pedals.

Despite the cost I'd be checking how well the GT2 wheel works on PC and PS3. If its ok buy the GT2 and sell the G25 to recover some of the cost.
iWolf
iWolf
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:05 am

Thanks for all that. Top reply. Looks like I'll go with the CS pedals and for the same price (well it is on the Fanatec site), maybe the GT2 is the way to go after all.

Now I need to find where to actually buy them and see how much it all is in Aus Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by iWolf Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:41 am

jatcave wrote:Thanks for all that. Top reply. Looks like I'll go with the CS pedals and for the same price (well it is on the Fanatec site), maybe the GT2 is the way to go after all.

Now I need to find where to actually buy them and see how much it all is in Aus Smile

No probs.

I think all our guys got their GT2 wheels from our sponsor, Pagnian Imports, I don't think anyone else has imported them to OZ.
Pagnian were out of stock so you'd have to check with them what the plans are for further imports. If you do, tell them you're a member of OZFM.

A number of guys have bought the Fanatec Turbo S wheel and CS pedals on special from JB Hi Fi. I think the guys were getting those from JB for around $500?
Gamesmen had the same kit for sale as well, I don't know if they had it on special.
The Turbo S was a limited run wheel and is generally similar to the GT2 but has a different hub and leather bound rim. Pagnian Imports also brought it to OZ in 2010, it is Xbox, PC and PS3 compatible as well.

Alternatively, the CSR Elite pedals might be a good option as well, I haven't really checked them out, but I think they use the same style of sensors as the CS pedals and I think they have adjustable pedal angle as well, which would be nice. I'd suggest some solid web searches to get info and user feedback on them.

Good luck working out what to buy. Smile
iWolf
iWolf
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down