OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P Sean Edwards 1986 - 2013.

2 posters

Go down

R.I.P Sean Edwards 1986 - 2013. Empty R.I.P Sean Edwards.

Post by JamieWhincup#1 Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:29 pm

R.I.P Sean Edwards 1986 - 2013. 10287375183_e2d97e0a23

Porsche Supercup star Sean Edwards has been identified as the person killed in an horrific crash at Queensland Raceway.

The Monaco-based Brit was in the passenger seat of a Porsche 996-series GT3 Cup car when it crashed at turn six at the Ipswich circuit.

His girlfriend and mother have been notified of the tragedy in Europe.

Edwards was instructing a 20-year-old driver from Brisbane, who is yet to be named, when the car slammed into a tyre bank with the car bursting into flames.

It is thought that Edwards was killed on impact while the driver was trapped in the burning wreckage for several hours and has suffered terrible burns.

The tragedy marks the second fatality at the circuit this year following the death of a 23-year-old motorcyclist at a ride day in June.

JamieWhincup#1
JamieWhincup#1
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

R.I.P Sean Edwards 1986 - 2013. Empty Re: R.I.P Sean Edwards 1986 - 2013.

Post by JamieWhincup#1 Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:04 pm

Young British driver Sean Edwards had been carving out an impressive career in Porsche’s flagship Supercup prior to his tragic death at Queensland Raceway on Tuesday.

Edwards had won three of the seven rounds to date and held an 18-point lead in the standings ahead of the final Abu Dhabi meeting on November 1-3.

Edwards this week headed to Australia for driving training work at Queensland Raceway, where he tragically lost his life while riding as a passenger in a 996 GT3 Cup Car.

Edwards arrived in Australia on Sunday and was booked to fly back to Europe tonight.

On Monday morning, Edwards had tweeted: ‘Time to hit Queensland Raceway today, should be fun, hope there aren’t too many kangaroos like at Bathurst!”

As news of the tragedy spread on Tuesday evening, tributes began streaming into social media channels from his peers and supporters.

Edwards had started the year in blistering form by being part of the Black Falcon Mercedes outfit that won the Dubai 24 Hour for the second year running before later conquering the Nurburgring 24 Hour.

He is a second generation driver whose dad Guy Edwards started in 17 World Championship F1 grands prix.

Edwards moved into GT racing in 2005 following a brief stint in Formula Ford and Formula Renault in his native England.

Initially in the British GT Championship, Edwards raced Porsches in the FIA GT3 and GT classes before largely focussing on the single-make Porsche Carrera Cup and Supercup racing from 2008.

He contested the Supercup in 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012, finishing in the championship’s top six on each occasion.

Edwards services recently were called on during filming for the successful Ron Howard film Rush, when he portrayed his father in some scenes.
JamieWhincup#1
JamieWhincup#1

Back to top Go down

Post by sempeR Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:29 pm

That is terrible. Race in peace Sean
sempeR
sempeR
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by JamieWhincup#1 Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:10 am

They are modern day heroes. They are the men and women who strap themselves into some of the fastest vehicles on this planet today, and know the dangers.

We have lost another hero.

Sean Edwards, the son of former Formula One driver Guy Edwards was killed today at the young age of 26.

While coaching a driver in a Porsche at Queensland Raceway in Australia, the driver lost control of the car, slamming into a concrete and tire wall. Edwards was killed instantly.

Before his fateful day, Edwards posted to his Twitter account about his upcoming event: "Time to hit Queensland Raceway today, should be fun, hope there aren't too many kangaroos like at Bathurst!"

The young driver was a favorite among paddocks all across the globe, being considered as one of the nicest drivers coming up through the ranks. The racing community was quick to react to the news with shock and sadness

Former F1 driver and television commentator David Coulthard was one of the first to express his sadness: "shocking news about Sean Edwards passing, top man and super talented racer, condolences to his nearest and dearest."

Dominik Farnbacher tweeted: "Can't believe it. I am shocked. After loosing Allan (Simonsen) we now loose Sean. RIP my friend"

NASCAR's up and coming star Parker Kligerman took pause on his twitter feed as well: "I'll always remember the battles sim racing back a couple years ago saying we were both gonna "make it".. God speed"

The British racer got his professional start in racing in 2003, and his first win in British Formula Ford that same year. In only 12 starts, and 4 podiums, he was able to finish a solid 4th in points.

He spent much of his career from that point racing in various GT series, including British GT, the FIA GT3 Championship. He had called the Porsche Supercup home the past couple years and was contending for the title this season. He even made three starts in the American Le Mans Series for NGT Motorsports.

Edwards wasn't just adept at driving a Porsche, winning the 24 Hours of Dubai twice with Mercedes and taking the win at the 24 Hours of the Nürburgring this year with Black Falcon, also in a Mercedes.

Earlier this year, at an ADAC Masters GT race, Edwards stepped into the vacated ride of Allan Simonsen, who also passed away in a racing incident this year, which is not only a show of character but a demonstration of the camaraderie that is infectious in motor racing.

He even helped work on the new Film “Rush” that depicts the 1976 Formula One Season. He played his father in the film, who was one of the first cars to arrive on the scene of Niki Lauda’s fiery accident, attempting to pull the German from the fiery wreckage.
JamieWhincup#1
JamieWhincup#1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down