OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warhammer 40K - Any Help

2 posters

Go down

Warhammer 40K - Any Help Empty Warhammer 40K - Any Help

Post by TEEROY 34 Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Hey Fellas, so collectively were all a bunch of Nerds so im hoping someones got some info for me.

My son has become a Warhammer fan and we are starting to collect and paint figures etc etc.
I'm trying to do it on the cheap atm and am chasing links to the Codex's (rule sheets) for the diff classes (space marines and Orks initially)

So if anyone has any info on where i can find downloads for the codex docs (ive checked pirate bay and google searches have come up short) and also any tips on where/how to get cheap deals on figures it would be greatly appreciated by my 7 year old son and of course myself (Im quite enjoying the painting side of these figurre)

Ill take any tips on the game or painting as well.

Anyone keen on mashing their way through the XBOX 360 game SPACE MARINE , its an Epic hack and Slash i certainly enjoyed it and im not sure of theres a Online multiplayer version.
PS the game is not for 7yr olds a bit graphic with blood etc etc

Nerd on Garth!!
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Warhammer 40K - Any Help Empty Re: Warhammer 40K - Any Help

Post by NoRecoil Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Hey T, Dont really play 40k any more (Stopped back at the end of 4th ed - picked up best painted at the states a few years back) but i still play Mordheim and Warhammer fantasy. Also play dystopian wars (steampunk alternate history navel battles)
Warhammer 40K - Any Help 420698_3476344832539_135014306_n

I make all my own terrain too Smile- so ask any Terrain related questions you may have.

First this first, i would find out where you local gaming club is and find out what there playing:
There is no pint building a army if you have no one to play against ;D

Warmachine and Hordes by Privateer Press (these can be played together/against eachother) are quite popular down here in Tassie, its a simpler game to play and has better support then the Games Workshop range and the models are cheaper. You can pick up a starter pack that wont kill your wallet. If you want to find out maore about it just check out some "how to play" vids on youtube

Vid for Hordes:

As you will know the models for anything by Games Workshop are stupid expensive now days.

If you want new models these guys have the best prices in aus:
http://www.vendio.com/stores/Discount_Games_Store
there a newer crowd, haven't dealt with them yet but most the guys i play with say there good.

I usually use:
http://www.thecombatcompany.com/
Good prices there too - far cheaper then getting from Games Workshop.

Dont buy GW paints, they are an expensive ripoff and the newer paints dry out in there bottles without even being used.
Cheaper paint but good quality is P3  - (P3 are the old GW suppliers and the officail paints of Hordes/Warmachine)

Warhammer 40K - Any Help Paintsets-PrivateerPress

THE SHIT of model Paint, still cheaper then GW (this is the shit i use, not really for beginners as it is thicker and requires a fair bit of practice to use effectively) -
Warhammer 40K - Any Help Paintsets-Vallejo

^^^ you can get both ranges from the combat company cheaper then you can in store.

If you want Cheap Second hand models check out http://www.wargamerau.com/ - best forum out there for stuff in aus. Ive basically built my Empire army for a 5th of the cost by grabbing second hand models, tip is to keep any eye out for stuff that is assembled and undecorated only is the trick.

Best option for the books would be to grab them from WargamerAU, they regularly pop up on there.
You can find Torrents of the books but if your kids are learning they would be better with the Codex's for there armies.

pirate 

Yarrr!

Full rule book:
http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/7411797/
NoRecoil
NoRecoil
OZFM Series Organiser

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Holy shit, thanks man, when I get some time ill go through all that ^^^^

cheers bud, will hit ya up for some more questions soon
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:12 pm

hey Recoil, vendio pricing is crazy!!
the Dark Vengence pack is 85 inc shipping, its 165 in store? best i seen on ebay after watching a few go is 118

do you have any vendio discount codes (or know how to find?)

ive picked up a small space marine pack (with initial paint kits purchase) x 6 men which me and my son have now painted
7 Orks (already painted so we can play)
and 20 Dark vengence cultists which we have just base coated black.

I wanna get a pack to start with so i get all the die and blast templates etc and Vendio seems to be the best option by far.
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34

Back to top Go down

Post by NoRecoil Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Sorry, no idea on the discount codes. I mainly use Combat company.

Before you get to carried away with bits and pieces, know that for starters you would want to run around 500 point games. later on (once rules are learned) you'll be looking games around the 2000-2500 point mark.

To give you and idea, take a look around the net for some 500 point lists so you know what models you need and how many - 7 orks...... My 1500 point Speed Freak Ork list i used back in the states a few years back had...

HQ
1 x Warboss
9 x Nobs
1 x Truck (transport)

Troops
1 x Nobs
9 x Ork boys
1 x Truck (transport)

Troops
1 x Nobs
9 x Ork boys
1 x Truck (transport)

Troops
1 x Nobs
9 x Ork boys
1 x Truck (transport)

Troops
1 x Nobs
9 x Ork boys
1 x Truck (transport)

Troops
1 x Nobs
9 x Ork boys
1 x Truck (transport)

Troops
1 x Nobs
9 x Ork boys
1 x Truck (transport)

Fast Attack
3 x Buggies

Fast attack
5 x Ork Bikers

Heavy Support
1 x Battle Wagon

Heavy Support
1 x Looted Vehicle (imperial Basilisk)

------------------------------------------
so thats:
54 Boys
15 Nobs
1 Boss
1 Battlewagon
3 Buggies
5 Bikes
+ a looted vehicle

This game is NOT cheap.......

You cant mix and match races, so pick which ones you want to use and grab the Battleforce boxs for each (normally between $160 and $185) or the starter pack such as Dark Vengeance (has chaos and Marines)
If your planing on orks and space marines look out for the Assault on Black Reach set - its a little older and a tad harder to find but has orks and marines instead, oh and you can play with just the starter kit.

Best option for models to money would be to get the battle forces though - check out HERE ist the GW gift guide, if you look at the races down the left each will have a basic starter set (Battleforce) that is close to the same points value as the others - good way to start.

But before you get to carryed away i strongly suggest the Hords or warmachine 2 player battle box - you will get enough to play straight away for under half the price - plus you'll be funding this hobby for a few years so it could be the smarter option and fun for just you and your family untill your kids are a little older, honestly 40k isn't really a under 14s game.

so....
http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/starter-products/hordes-two-player-battlegroup-box
or
http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/two-player-battle-box/warmachine-two-player-battle-box

you still get to paint, collect and play for a fraction of the cost - and you can have fun with your family

NoRecoil
NoRecoil
OZFM Series Organiser

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum