OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metro: Last Light

+2
Dazza4610
TEEROY 34
6 posters

Go down

Metro: Last Light  Empty Metro: Last Light

Post by Dazza4610 Thu May 16, 2013 9:10 am

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Metro: Last Light  Empty Re: Metro: Last Light

Post by TEEROY 34 Thu May 16, 2013 11:06 am

wow that looks impressive Daz, might be on this one
after I finish Skyrim/GTA/Battlefield/DIRT showdown.....ahhh the list goes on haha

TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dektra Thu May 16, 2013 11:24 am

Is this pre or post 2033???
Dektra
Dektra

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu May 16, 2013 11:36 am

I think 2033 was a book as far as I know, and this is the game. Not real sure though.

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by Dektra Thu May 16, 2013 11:58 am

Metro: Last Light  8742228835_d38fe86583_c

Very Happy
Dektra
Dektra

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Cool. So do you think I need to play 2033 first?

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by Dektra Thu May 16, 2013 12:14 pm

2033 is an amazing game. I'd highly recommend it. I don't know about whether they are tied or not. Envy would be the man to speak to about that.
Dektra
Dektra

Back to top Go down

Post by Envy The Best Thu May 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Metro 2033 was originally published online by Dmitry Glukhovsky, and due to its popularity it was later given a physical release and a translated. There was a book called Metro 2034, however this isn't a direct sequel to the first book, and does not take place in the Moscow Metro. It wasn't nearly as successful and wasn't given a translated release (at least into English) nor its own game. 4A games (creators of the STALKER series) released the videogame version of Metro 2033 rather subtly in 2010 and garnered a cult following.

Now Last Light is a direct sequel to Metro 2033, and the game itself was written by Dmitry, something unique when it comes to book/film to game conversions, hence why its rather successful as it managed to remain faithful, if not 100% accurate, to the written material.

During Last Lights development, Dmitry decided that he wanted to go into even further detail into the plot of the game, and hence is writing Metro 2035 as an expanded account of Metro Last Light. Another key piece of the story is a short Epilogue for Metro 2033 called "The Gospel according to Artyom", billed as an integral connecting piece between Metro 2033, '34, Last Light and hence '35. I personally have not read this yet.

Now for something relevant. Do you need to play Metro 2033 to play Metro Last Light? No, the game does decent job of re-capping Metro 2033 in the first chapter that makes any Veteran of the franchise get up and make a coffee for a while as everything takes its course. However that shouldn't be taken as an incentive NOT to play Metro 2033, as its one of those games that is an absolute must play to any self respecting gamer in the same fashion as Spec Ops: The Line.

If you also like to read, get your hands on a copy of Metro 2033. The game is good, the book is better

edit: Oh and Last Light is also quite brilliant.
Envy The Best
Envy The Best
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Thu May 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks Envy,
Already Sussed out EB and our local store has a new copy of Metro 2033, so I might pick that up tomorrow and by the time I play that the new one may be cheaper.

I was about to grab Bioshock Infinate and saw this game... Now I can probably grab both Bioshock and Metro 2033 for under $100

Thanks again for the review/info.

Dazz

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm with Teeroy - how the hell do you have time to play these games?

I picked up Assassin's Creed I and II when they were on sale a month or so back. I'm about 20% of the way through I. The problem is that I don't get a chance to play it for a week and then can't remember the controls and end up in some mass combat situation trying to remember how to block or counter! :-)

Does look like a good game though (the OP). Not quite as scary as FEAR (man that was good), but with a similarly strong atmosphere...

I need a couple of months off!

Chris
OctarineDream
OctarineDream

Back to top Go down

Post by Dektra Thu May 16, 2013 9:05 pm

OctarineDream wrote:I'm with Teeroy - how the hell do you have time to play these games?

I picked up Assassin's Creed I and II when they were on sale a month or so back. I'm about 20% of the way through I. The problem is that I don't get a chance to play it for a week and then can't remember the controls and end up in some mass combat situation trying to remember how to block or counter! :-)

Does look like a good game though (the OP). Not quite as scary as FEAR (man that was good), but with a similarly strong atmosphere...

I need a couple of months off!

Chris

Stay away from FEAR 2 and 3. they suck in comparison
Dektra
Dektra

Back to top Go down

Post by Envy The Best Thu May 16, 2013 9:10 pm

I'm going to have to disagree with FEAR 2, that one was pretty good. Then again i picked up for 2 bucks.

I once did an english presentation on the fear aspect of the Metro universe and unlike FEAR it doesn't rely on jump scares (which FEAR did really really really well) but it works off of the natural fear that this could actually happen, i.e a Nuclear apocalypse.

Metro is purely psychological and it kinda asks the question "Could you live like this?" Fallout 3 has a similar desolate landscape, but thats on the surface. A Metro station has only three mass transit access points and while they are livable areas, if not comfortable in some areas, if push comes to shove you're inherently trapped inside what you now call home (Cursed Station in Metro 2033 is a good example of this).

When i first played the games, just looking down a tunnel was frightening because not only did you not know what was there, you KNOW its a very long tunnel and ANYTHING could be coming and you wouldn't see it until it was too late.

Its a very different kind of fear but it doesn't work on everyone.
Envy The Best
Envy The Best
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by OctarineDream Thu May 16, 2013 9:14 pm

I started FEAR 2, but it didn't really draw me in as much.
Not in the way that the first one did.
$2 is pretty good though. :-)

I might look around for the book from the above game though. I've nearly finished Stephen King's Darktower series (7 books!) and will be looking for something after that.

OctarineDream
OctarineDream

Back to top Go down

Post by SunCrossed Thu May 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Dazza4610 wrote:Thanks Envy,
Already Sussed out EB and our local store has a new copy of Metro 2033, so I might pick that up tomorrow and by the time I play that the new one may be cheaper.

I was about to grab Bioshock Infinate and saw this game... Now I can probably grab both Bioshock and Metro 2033 for under $100

Thanks again for the review/info.

Dazz

Dazz Ozgameshop.com for cheap games delivered pretty quick from the UK. If you have a Steam account you can get a key emailed to you. Used for Infinite got it on release for $30 something... Dishonored the same.
SunCrossed
SunCrossed
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down