Forza With A Wheel

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Forza With A Wheel

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Hey guys wasn't quite sure were to post this but was curious do most of you guys race with steering wheel and pedals for Forza?

For those of you who saw my intro post having been in sim racing for 5 years ive already got the wheel, pedals, racing rig ect but never tried racing Forza on a wheel.

Like PC racing im assuming the wheel / pedal set is still the best and fastest way to go if so im getting some converter's in for Logitech gear and will defiantly hook up my Logitech wheel and pedals to my Xbox.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Dazza4610 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:50 am

I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that there are "adapters" to do this, however I think you loose FFB. This was a while ago, so maybe there is something newer that will do the job. Good luck.


Welcome to Forza 5 - Where it is 'ok' to come 2nd or 3rd!

Dazza4610
.

Posts : 8264
Points : 9655
Join date : 2010-02-01
Location : QLD

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by iWolf on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:45 am

C0R3Y858 wrote:Hey guys wasn't quite sure were to post this but was curious do most of you guys race with steering wheel and pedals for Forza?

Quite a few of use wheels & pedals and its mainly Fanatec gear these days, Turbo S or GT2 wheels with clubsport pedals which are multiplatform xbox, PS3 and PC. But I reckon you'd know about that gear already. Smile Some guys still use the Microsoft wheel and maybe a couple using Madcatz gear.

That said you'll find a number of very fast (and fastest) drivers are using controllers.
avatar
iWolf
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Posts : 4009
Points : 4389
Join date : 2009-08-16
Location : Lake Macquarie, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by TEEROY 34 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:24 am

but for us purists, the wheel is the wsay to go...no question.



avatar
TEEROY 34
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Posts : 6167
Points : 6582
Join date : 2009-10-22
Location : Morley, PERTH, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by NoRecoil on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Honestly there isn't a lot of benefit from using a wheel.
Most the faster guys on here use a controller.

If you want to race in car then there is an opinion to turn on multi screens, even with out a multi-screen setup you can switch it on and make the Field of view deeper so you can see all of the side mirror in most cars and the passenger side a pillar.

My advice:
Enjoy the game with a controller first before going out getting a wheel, if you running Forza for the first time in a few years and run with all the assists off then the learning curve will already be steep enough.


Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
avatar
NoRecoil
OZFM Series Organiser

Posts : 4452
Points : 4933
Age : 31
Join date : 2010-01-13
Location : Tasmania

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by mcrow5 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:35 pm

I find the controller easier, but I'm more consistent with it. Mind you if I wanna have fun ill use the wheel.
avatar
mcrow5
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Posts : 3764
Points : 3947
Join date : 2009-11-25
Location : Melbourne

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Sleuth 101 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:03 pm

There is a BIG difference between using a wheel and controller, If everyone used a wheel it would be awsome but because they dont there is significant different racing lines that ends up with a wheel(real)user getting alot of contact from controller users as its easier with a controller to have different racing lines and adjust alot quicker when there is nudges and tail tapps which seems to happen alot when using a wheel, most likely from the different racing lines and controller users doing the late brake turn and accelerate from corners, while a wheel user tends to have slower entry speed but able to be faster or fast as through out the apex of the corner and is limited to the true racing lines to be able to do competative laps.

Tuning also requires a different approach with using a wheel and less forgiving than when using a controller, basically its easier to be faster with a controller and has more of the ability to be able to race faster in stock and poorly tuned cars or big horse power cars with out assists on.

As I have tried wheels and controllers for Forza over several years I have found a controller to be the easiest to use with no assists on with Forza, it also is more consistent in lap times and at times easier to race with the larger lobbys of FM4, the reason I think its easier is due to the quick flicks and adjustments you can make on a controller, the different racing lines you can take at times with out affecting your overall lap time to much, the majority of drivers are using controllers, the ability to counter correct those small understeer and oversteer issues more easily encountered on a lap, the less need for a well tuned car suited for a wheel. But that is my opinion only and by trying both for extended periods you will see and be able to form your own and work out whats best with for you, personally I wish I could use a wheel all the time on Forza and in series hosted by OZFM, but due to the limitations already mentioned its just frustrating at times and end up with damage from others (most of the times controller users) which in turn affects the quality of my experience on Forza while racing in the series hosted by OZFM.
avatar
Sleuth 101
Multiple World Champ

Posts : 1529
Points : 1620
Join date : 2009-12-25
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Reaps on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm

That's a bit biased & IMHO a bit of a cop out Sleuth, I could turn it right around & say most contact with wheel users comes from them being completly blind re: peripheral vision as there is no option to look from side to side (or they don't use it) & then just not seeing cars beside them & getting a shock when there is contact.

I watched the replay's at Silverstone for the GT cars, in those races (particulary the final one that you got upset with at the time) the contacts only happen because you can't see beside yourself to move fast enough to avoid touches. With a controller when you are side by side with someone its possible to look constantly at the car beside you & adjust to give room accordingly, with a wheel you can't so people just stick to their line, blind to what the other car is doing & then if either car gets the slightest bit out of shape there is no room to accomodate for this & the cars touch.

Inevitably the wheel user goes flying (as they are generally the only one that doesn't know the contact is about to happen) and then because their force feedback caught them by surprise & sent them flying off into the boonies, the controller guy gets the blame (in the eyes of the wheel user, as proven by your comments above) & the wheel user gets angry & says people are barging into him. Sad

It works both ways too mate, trust me sometimes its damn frustrating to race against a wheel user as a controller user too. The amount of times I get completley chopped off badly on the way into a corner by a wheel user & have to stand on the brakes & practically stop just to avoid hitting them is damn annoying especially when the person doesn't even seem to realise that this is what they are doing corner after corner because they plain just can't see how close the car is to them on the way into the corner as they can only see backward & forward, not beside or on the front & rear angles. But equally as a controller user if you call you might be going for a move before the braking zone, the wheel user just moves over to cover you before you get alongside them, damned if you do, damned if you don't, very frustrating.

Also I get sick of the speed argument, wheels CAN go as fast, its just up to the user. Of course wheels will be harder to use, they are providing force feedback etc & as such there are more things that can provide feedback through the control method & affect the driver's inputs. But wouldn't this depend on the amount of feedback used???

I used to race F1 on my wheel with my feedback turned off, vibration only, funny that, its just like a controller only a wheel instead of thumbsticks etc & I liked it that way best. Just like turning up the power steering assistance on a race car until the steering became lighter & with less feedback from the road, really.....

So if you really want to run on a system that you setup so that you cannot match your times on a controller, with high FFB and an inability to look around your car then that just means that that is the way you have set your control method up & that is your personal preference at this time. IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE CONTROLLER IS A FASTER CONTROL METHOD & EASIER FULL STOP. IT ALSO DOES NOT MEAN THAT IF YOU ARE STICKING TO YOUR LINE IN A CORNER & YOU ARE TAPPED IT IS AUTOMATICALLY NOT YOUR FAULT.

It just means that FOR YOU, THE WAY YOU HAVE CHOSEN to set things up, the controller gets YOU better times but despite this YOU apparantely enjoy the feel etc & the experience of the wheel more.

So Sleuthy please don't go down the path of "Its because you guys are on controllers blah blah...", its pretty insulting & only ends up getting pretty fired up responses back, as you can see. Lets just all enjoy driving Forza he way we choose to & not make excuses that only really insult other people's efforts & achievements.

avatar
Reaps
Multiple World Champ

Posts : 1829
Points : 2071
Join date : 2010-01-11
Location : Earth

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by crimson eagle73 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Reapr, you can look left/right on the wheel. I have it set to buttons on the side of the wheel. It's easier than using right stick (which I could never get the hang of BTW)
I first purchased Forza 2 with MS wheel, played it all through forza 3 until I got a GT2 so I have always used a wheel.
From my experiences, people can be an ass with a wheel and they can be an ass with a controller. I've raced great people with both wheel and controller. If you're an ass, you're an ass. If you're a top bloke, you're a top bloke. Who cares what you use to play the game? Nuff said.

crimson eagle73
2 x World Champ

Posts : 1161
Points : 1442
Age : 43
Join date : 2009-12-26
Location : Nowra

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Sleuth 101 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:31 pm

Original Reapr wrote:That's a bit biased & IMHO a bit of a cop out Sleuth, I could turn it right around & say most contact with wheel users comes from them being completly blind re: peripheral vision as there is no option to look from side to side (or they don't use it) & then just not seeing cars beside them & getting a shock when there is contact.

I watched the replay's at Silverstone for the GT cars, in those races (particulary the final one that you got upset with at the time) the contacts only happen because you can't see beside yourself to move fast enough to avoid touches. With a controller when you are side by side with someone its possible to look constantly at the car beside you & adjust to give room accordingly, with a wheel you can't so people just stick to their line, blind to what the other car is doing & then if either car gets the slightest bit out of shape there is no room to accomodate for this & the cars touch.

Inevitably the wheel user goes flying (as they are generally the only one that doesn't know the contact is about to happen) and then because their force feedback caught them by surprise & sent them flying off into the boonies, the controller guy gets the blame (in the eyes of the wheel user, as proven by your comments above) & the wheel user gets angry & says people are barging into him. Sad

It works both ways too mate, trust me sometimes its damn frustrating to race against a wheel user as a controller user too. The amount of times I get completley chopped off badly on the way into a corner by a wheel user & have to stand on the brakes & practically stop just to avoid hitting them is damn annoying especially when the person doesn't even seem to realise that this is what they are doing corner after corner because they plain just can't see how close the car is to them on the way into the corner as they can only see backward & forward, not beside or on the front & rear angles. But equally as a controller user if you call you might be going for a move before the braking zone, the wheel user just moves over to cover you before you get alongside them, damned if you do, damned if you don't, very frustrating.

Also I get sick of the speed argument, wheels CAN go as fast, its just up to the user. Of course wheels will be harder to use, they are providing force feedback etc & as such there are more things that can provide feedback through the control method & affect the driver's inputs. But wouldn't this depend on the amount of feedback used???

I used to race F1 on my wheel with my feedback turned off, vibration only, funny that, its just like a controller only a wheel instead of thumbsticks etc & I liked it that way best. Just like turning up the power steering assistance on a race car until the steering became lighter & with less feedback from the road, really.....

So if you really want to run on a system that you setup so that you cannot match your times on a controller, with high FFB and an inability to look around your car then that just means that that is the way you have set your control method up & that is your personal preference at this time. IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE CONTROLLER IS A FASTER CONTROL METHOD & EASIER FULL STOP. IT ALSO DOES NOT MEAN THAT IF YOU ARE STICKING TO YOUR LINE IN A CORNER & YOU ARE TAPPED IT IS AUTOMATICALLY NOT YOUR FAULT.

It just means that FOR YOU, THE WAY YOU HAVE CHOSEN to set things up, the controller gets YOU better times but despite this YOU apparantely enjoy the feel etc & the experience of the wheel more.

So Sleuthy please don't go down the path of "Its because you guys are on controllers blah blah...", its pretty insulting & only ends up getting pretty fired up responses back, as you can see. Lets just all enjoy driving Forza he way we choose to & not make excuses that only really insult other people's efforts & achievements.


Funny thing when I was writing my opinion only on a wheel controller for Forza as requested by the thread starter, and given I have done alot of both on Forza and tried to keep my reply unbiased or aimed at anyone in particular, it did cross my mind on who would be the one to fire a rocket back with out thinking on what my point was actually, go figure...

IT IS EASIER TO USE FORZA WITH A CONTROLLER...full stop...(yes i can do capitals also) for various reasons as stated in my opinion only and what I have to found to be the case.

Now reaper as you well know and should understand that you are one of the most couteous drivers and generally respectful you would think that nothng was aimed towards you, I fail to see or understand why you think my previous post is??? or called for a response from you. Maybe you could of detailed your experiences when using a wheel and controller vs there differences on FM4 with pros and cons to both, as you well know you ave a following on here AND FM4 and people will listen to you.

As for contacts why should I or any one else have to move at all if im/there on the racing line or at the very least hold the line there on??? Anyway different topic for a different thread perhaps.

But if your aim was to knock me down or have a go at me in defense for expressing my experience while using both controller and wheel in series events on OZFM, then you have rightly done so. Good work.


avatar
Sleuth 101
Multiple World Champ

Posts : 1529
Points : 1620
Join date : 2009-12-25
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Envy The Best on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Hey Sleuth







You're wrong.
avatar
Envy The Best
Multiple World Champ

Posts : 1506
Points : 1585
Age : 25
Join date : 2010-01-17
Location : Canberra

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Sleuth 101 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:01 pm

How can anyone be wrong when they state that it is there experience and there opinion only when using a wheel vs controller.

The way I see it is its mine and mine only on my opinion and experience, your all welcome to your own.

But if this by anyone an attempt to fire me up and create a thing against me, or move me away from the forums then its very shallow amonst other things, I have made mistakes and written wrong things in the past, BUT I have also apoligised when Im wrong and admitted that I was.

Bit over the negativity and the way if one differs from the what they think to be the case they get sprayed for it and ridiculed, not to mention defamed in the process.

Dare to be different and express ones thoughts on a topic that required only the input of there experience and what and how they thought on it.
avatar
Sleuth 101
Multiple World Champ

Posts : 1529
Points : 1620
Join date : 2009-12-25
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Dektra on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:02 pm

This thread makes me appreciate popcorn so much more.
avatar
Dektra
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Posts : 2984
Points : 3517
Age : 27
Join date : 2012-01-27
Location : Victoria

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Reaps on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:33 pm

oO Sleuth Oo wrote:Funny thing when I was writing my opinion only on a wheel controller for Forza as requested by the thread starter, and given I have done alot of both on Forza and tried to keep my reply unbiased or aimed at anyone in particular, it did cross my mind on who would be the one to fire a rocket back with out thinking on what my point was actually, go figure...

IT IS EASIER TO USE FORZA WITH A CONTROLLER...full stop...(yes i can do capitals also) for various reasons as stated in my opinion only and what I have to found to be the case.

Now reaper as you well know and should understand that you are one of the most couteous drivers and generally respectful you would think that nothng was aimed towards you, I fail to see or understand why you think my previous post is??? or called for a response from you. Maybe you could of detailed your experiences when using a wheel and controller vs there differences on FM4 with pros and cons to both, as you well know you ave a following on here AND FM4 and people will listen to you.

As for contacts why should I or any one else have to move at all if im/there on the racing line or at the very least hold the line there on??? Anyway different topic for a different thread perhaps.

But if your aim was to knock me down or have a go at me in defense for expressing my experience while using both controller and wheel in series events on OZFM, then you have rightly done so. Good work.



Ok quite a few points I'd like to make in response to .... that.

It is easier to use a controller IN YOUR OPINION. You basically blamed controller users for ruining your forza experience & put the onus on all contact between cars etc on controller users. You said controller users didn't have to try as hard on their setups & that they were able to go faster and drive better purely because they were using a controller. You didn't make these statements saying that FOR YOU it was that way, you said THAT IS HOW IT IS IN FORZA. Not in your opinion just that is how it is.

Thats why I wrote in my final 2 paragraphs of previous comment...

" It just means that FOR YOU, THE WAY YOU HAVE CHOSEN to set things up, the controller gets YOU better times but despite this YOU apparantely enjoy the feel etc & the experience of the wheel more.

So Sleuthy please don't go down the path of "Its because you guys are on controllers blah blah...", its pretty insulting & only ends up getting pretty fired up responses back, as you can see. Lets just all enjoy driving Forza he way we choose to & not make excuses that only really insult other people's efforts & achievements. "


My comments directed back at having frustration at times with what I percieve to be the problems with racing against SOME wheel users were merely aimed at pointing out that negative arguments whether they be right or wrong can go both ways & as you see its insulting when someone says something like this. I was trying to make you realise that this is how your previous post comes across.

OR I could now just take the path you have taken & say "Hey that was only my opinion and i'm just relaying my experience in Forza" & play all innocent rather than saying "fair enough I can see how those comments are pretty inflamatory & how I have tried to say that's a fact & not just my opinion". But what's the point in that?

Even in your last post you say "IT IS EASIER TO USE FORZA WITH A CONTROLLER ..full stop..." ?? But then you go on to say oh thats in my opinion only.... What the? If its only your opinion then wouldn't you write IN MY OPINION I HAVE FOUND IT TO BE EASIER TO USE A CONTROLLER ALTHOUGH MORE ENJOYABLE TO USE A WHEEL ALTHOUGH IT FRUSTRATES ME SOMETIMES WHEN TRYING TO RACE CLOSE AGAINST OTHER CARS. Not to mention you never mentioned in your entire 1st post in this topic that this & other statements were your opinion only. You stated them as fact. No mention of opinion, of this is my experience, or that others may find it different, just this is how it is.

Writing "its my opinion only" once in a response post (quoted) to cover every generalisation you made about controller users having it easier in your earlier post, i.e having to do less work in their tunes, being able to adjust more in a corner, taking wrong lines and generally always being at fault for any contact that results in wheel users being being punted off by their Force feedback doesn't change the fact that you wrote all of those statements as fact at various points in your post, rather than saying that those were your experiences in wheel vs controller.

You know what you are implying in your posts mate, particularly the 1st one & there's a big difference between saying "oh this is how it is" & "oh this is how I found it to be for me personally". I will do that comparo you suggest though, as soon as I dust off my wheel, that's if the MS wheel is good enough? I don't know if its classed as a real wheel or not, in your opinion but its what I have & what quite a few others use too, I hope its not going to be the cause for concern re: potential laptime differences between it & a fanatec????

Also, where you state "why should I have to move off my line at all in a corner" well you don't but sometimes cars move around a bit when close to each other & sometimes small/big mistakes are made & allowances have to be given to avoid contact. If a car takes no avoiding action to avoid contact with another car that has lost control or made a mistake or whatever then its a bit rich to start going off about a race being ruined etc.

Fair enough to be upset if you just get creamed & there was no avoiding contact no matter what avoiding action you took, but its not fair to make statements like:

"If everyone used a wheel it would be awsome but because they dont there is significant different racing lines that ends up with a wheel(real)user getting alot of contact from controller users as its easier with a controller to have different racing lines and adjust alot quicker when there is nudges and tail tapps which seems to happen alot when using a wheel, most likely from the different racing lines and controller users doing the late brake turn and accelerate from corners, while a wheel user tends to have slower entry speed but able to be faster or fast as through out the apex of the corner and is limited to the true racing lines to be able to do competative laps."

The incidents I am talking about are avoidable accidents but for someone not watching the cars around them & merely "sticking to their line" & hoping for the best. That was my point with the whole visibility issue I raised in my 1st response, but Crimson has actually explained how to setup the wheel so that you can look left & right anyway so if the wheel is setup like that then it should have the same chance at seeing the potential accident in a situation like this as the controller does, hence a controller driver shouldn't be any more likely to punt off a wheel user unfairly or unexpectedly than a wheel on a controller or a controller on controller or wheel on wheel etc.

And as for your points about different racing lines & different entry speeds etc look at how it is written. Basically that whole paragraph reads that wheel users are better but controller users ruin it for them with their silly lines & corner entries etc.... how do you expect a controller user to take this? Added with how our tunes don't have to be as good and its easier to get a good time.......

Couldn't you have just written that IN YOUR EXPERIENCES that is what you found to be the case? Of course not, because that's not the point you were trying to get across was it? You wanted to get across that controller users are only faster because they are on a controller, hence my annoyance. Trust me it came across clearly, it has for the last month that you have made similar comments at different times constantly in party & game chat too, none too subtle. Oh & go try the theory of the wheel being slower on FrankTank too, or Jester race, I know Franktank for 1 simply refuses to race on a controller because he can't get the same times he does on a wheel. ITS ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE, something you convienently seemd to forget when stating facts about how the wheel was at a disadvantage, rather than saying you felt like it was FOR YOU.

All a matter of preference mate, but don't belittle people using the controller or make excuses or generalisations about it just to make yourself feel better, because in doing that you are making someone else feel worse, which sucks. You know the point you were trying to make, the fact that your entire 1st post doesn't mention "in my experience" or " in my opinion' or " others may find it different but" or anything of the sort says it all. Don't then try to cry wolf & say you weren't having a go & it was only your opinion, you stated it as fact & you meant to state it as fat in your 1st post, which it isn't.
avatar
Reaps
Multiple World Champ

Posts : 1829
Points : 2071
Join date : 2010-01-11
Location : Earth

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Rinkly on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Wellcome to Forzaaaaaaaa COR3Y858 hammer
avatar
Rinkly
World Champion

Posts : 761
Points : 806
Age : 78
Join date : 2010-01-16
Location : S.Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Sleuth 101 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Original Reapr wrote:

Ok quite a few points I'd like to make in response to .... that.

It is easier to use a controller IN YOUR OPINION. You basically blamed controller users for ruining your forza experience & put the onus on all contact between cars etc on controller users. You said controller users didn't have to try as hard on their setups & that they were able to go faster and drive better purely because they were using a controller. You didn't make these statements saying that FOR YOU it was that way, you said THAT IS HOW IT IS IN FORZA. Not in your opinion just that is how it is.

Thats why I wrote in my final 2 paragraphs of previous comment...

" It just means that FOR YOU, THE WAY YOU HAVE CHOSEN to set things up, the controller gets YOU better times but despite this YOU apparantely enjoy the feel etc & the experience of the wheel more.

So Sleuthy please don't go down the path of "Its because you guys are on controllers blah blah...", its pretty insulting & only ends up getting pretty fired up responses back, as you can see. Lets just all enjoy driving Forza he way we choose to & not make excuses that only really insult other people's efforts & achievements. "


My comments directed back at having frustration at times with what I percieve to be the problems with racing against SOME wheel users were merely aimed at pointing out that negative arguments whether they be right or wrong can go both ways & as you see its insulting when someone says something like this. I was trying to make you realise that this is how your previous post comes across.

OR I could now just take the path you have taken & say "Hey that was only my opinion and i'm just relaying my experience in Forza" & play all innocent rather than saying "fair enough I can see how those comments are pretty inflamatory & how I have tried to say that's a fact & not just my opinion". But what's the point in that?

Even in your last post you say "IT IS EASIER TO USE FORZA WITH A CONTROLLER ..full stop..." ?? But then you go on to say oh thats in my opinion only.... What the? If its only your opinion then wouldn't you write IN MY OPINION I HAVE FOUND IT TO BE EASIER TO USE A CONTROLLER ALTHOUGH MORE ENJOYABLE TO USE A WHEEL ALTHOUGH IT FRUSTRATES ME SOMETIMES WHEN TRYING TO RACE CLOSE AGAINST OTHER CARS. Not to mention you never mentioned in your entire 1st post in this topic that this & other statements were your opinion only. You stated them as fact. No mention of opinion, of this is my experience, or that others may find it different, just this is how it is.

Writing "its my opinion only" once in a response post (quoted) to cover every generalisation you made about controller users having it easier in your earlier post, i.e having to do less work in their tunes, being able to adjust more in a corner, taking wrong lines and generally always being at fault for any contact that results in wheel users being being punted off by their Force feedback doesn't change the fact that you wrote all of those statements as fact at various points in your post, rather than saying that those were your experiences in wheel vs controller.

You know what you are implying in your posts mate, particularly the 1st one & there's a big difference between saying "oh this is how it is" & "oh this is how I found it to be for me personally". I will do that comparo you suggest though, as soon as I dust off my wheel, that's if the MS wheel is good enough? I don't know if its classed as a real wheel or not, in your opinion but its what I have & what quite a few others use too, I hope its not going to be the cause for concern re: potential laptime differences between it & a fanatec????

Also, where you state "why should I have to move off my line at all in a corner" well you don't but sometimes cars move around a bit when close to each other & sometimes small/big mistakes are made & allowances have to be given to avoid contact. If a car takes no avoiding action to avoid contact with another car that has lost control or made a mistake or whatever then its a bit rich to start going off about a race being ruined etc.

Fair enough to be upset if you just get creamed & there was no avoiding contact no matter what avoiding action you took, but its not fair to make statements like:

"If everyone used a wheel it would be awsome but because they dont there is significant different racing lines that ends up with a wheel(real)user getting alot of contact from controller users as its easier with a controller to have different racing lines and adjust alot quicker when there is nudges and tail tapps which seems to happen alot when using a wheel, most likely from the different racing lines and controller users doing the late brake turn and accelerate from corners, while a wheel user tends to have slower entry speed but able to be faster or fast as through out the apex of the corner and is limited to the true racing lines to be able to do competative laps."

The incidents I am talking about are avoidable accidents but for someone not watching the cars around them & merely "sticking to their line" & hoping for the best. That was my point with the whole visibility issue I raised in my 1st response, but Crimson has actually explained how to setup the wheel so that you can look left & right anyway so if the wheel is setup like that then it should have the same chance at seeing the potential accident in a situation like this as the controller does, hence a controller driver shouldn't be any more likely to punt off a wheel user unfairly or unexpectedly than a wheel on a controller or a controller on controller or wheel on wheel etc.

And as for your points about different racing lines & different entry speeds etc look at how it is written. Basically that whole paragraph reads that wheel users are better but controller users ruin it for them with their silly lines & corner entries etc.... how do you expect a controller user to take this? Added with how our tunes don't have to be as good and its easier to get a good time.......

Couldn't you have just written that IN YOUR EXPERIENCES that is what you found to be the case? Of course not, because that's not the point you were trying to get across was it? You wanted to get across that controller users are only faster because they are on a controller, hence my annoyance. Trust me it came across clearly, it has for the last month that you have made similar comments at different times constantly in party & game chat too, none too subtle. Oh & go try the theory of the wheel being slower on FrankTank too, or Jester race, I know Franktank for 1 simply refuses to race on a controller because he can't get the same times he does on a wheel. ITS ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE, something you convienently seemd to forget when stating facts about how the wheel was at a disadvantage, rather than saying you felt like it was FOR YOU.

All a matter of preference mate, but don't belittle people using the controller or make excuses or generalisations about it just to make yourself feel better, because in doing that you are making someone else feel worse, which sucks. You know the point you were trying to make, the fact that your entire 1st post doesn't mention "in my experience" or " in my opinion' or " others may find it different but" or anything of the sort says it all. Don't then try to cry wolf & say you weren't having a go & it was only your opinion, you stated it as fact & you meant to state it as fat in your 1st post, which it isn't.

The last paragraph in my original first post to this thread, says quite clearly,"As I have tried wheels and controllers for Forza over several years I have found a controller to be the easiest to use with no assists on with Forza" and " But that is my opinion only and by trying both for extended periods you will see and be able to form your own and work out whats best with for you"

That makes your above post seem rather feable to your arguments on what I did n did not say, given the last paragraph in free written speech is normally considered a 'summary' to the above writtings, but if I should of stated everything with "I" and "my experiences" then I am at fault for not having enough foresight for you to see this, given I thought it was enough and the fact that I did mention "my experiences" in the last paragraph what is it your on about again.... I have to wonder how and why you know what Im thinking or trying to put across, as you dont know me personally so how can you percieve to put words in my mouth and a poor attempt to quote or even mention what it was that I was trying to put across.

As far as Im concerned what I wrote in my first post was from experiences and from my point of view, as I said in the last paragraph, which is from my point related to all of the above writings in the first post.

What is insulting is you found it in your need to pull, drag, mention certain things and dredge stuff up from the past making it seem more tragic than what it was to try and validate and make your point worthy or even an attempt to prove your point.

I could go on and on and on and quote you on several things from here and there, the past and make it personal, even an attack, but hey whats the point of it, nor is it my style, so percieve it how you want, take it how you will, I know and stand by what I have written in the first post in this thread, its quite simple really, its my thoughts and experiences with a controller and wheel in Forza
avatar
Sleuth 101
Multiple World Champ

Posts : 1529
Points : 1620
Join date : 2009-12-25
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Dektra on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:41 pm

jesus boys. your penises dont need comparing here
avatar
Dektra
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Posts : 2984
Points : 3517
Age : 27
Join date : 2012-01-27
Location : Victoria

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Sly Dux on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:09 pm

So if anyone really cares i use a controller with the rumble thingys taken out. My theory is the weight reduction makes me quicker. Also it has ps3 sticks in it because they are more comfortable IMO
avatar
Sly Dux
World Champion

Posts : 699
Points : 730
Age : 34
Join date : 2011-08-20
Location : Mt Barker, Western Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Rinkly on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:45 pm

I got an extention on mine, it dosn't make me quick
but it feel's more cumfortuble in my hand's. finger
avatar
Rinkly
World Champion

Posts : 761
Points : 806
Age : 78
Join date : 2010-01-16
Location : S.Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Envy The Best on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:46 pm

Back on topic, coming from someone who has actually used both wheel and controller extensively in the past year (Fanatec Turbo S w/ Clubby pedals), i found the wheel easier to use overall, especially in the R1/R2 classes. That said it took a fairly lengthy amount of time to get used to it, as i did the other way round when the wheel bit the dust. It doesn't come easy.

Swapping from one to the other does NOT magically give you half a second advantage
, its all in how you set up your car, how well you know the car and how well you know the track to pick the fastest (not necessarily the "correct") line around the track. It also comes down to experience and how much time you've spent with either set up.

My advise if going a wheel? Use your "look back" button A LOT and learn to judge where cars may/may not be, since as Reapr said you can't look left or right. However it really isn't that hard if you actually put in the effort.

Sly Dux wrote:So if anyone really cares i use a controller with the rumble thingys taken out. My theory is the weight reduction makes me quicker. Also it has ps3 sticks in it because they are more comfortable IMO

To be honest, i'm kinda inclined to believe you, since there is a gamepad out there where you can actually do such a thing.

I want one.
avatar
Envy The Best
Multiple World Champ

Posts : 1506
Points : 1585
Age : 25
Join date : 2010-01-17
Location : Canberra

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Waffelz on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 pm

IMHO

avatar
Waffelz
World Champion

Posts : 893
Points : 956
Age : 28
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : SALZBRY, SA

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Envy The Best on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:50 pm

Waffelz, i can call up many a gif to do with popcorn, please don't tempt me Very Happy
avatar
Envy The Best
Multiple World Champ

Posts : 1506
Points : 1585
Age : 25
Join date : 2010-01-17
Location : Canberra

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Waffelz on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:54 pm

yeah but does it go "do do do do do, di da do do do do do, di da dum da dum du da, dum da dum da da da da do..." ??!!??
avatar
Waffelz
World Champion

Posts : 893
Points : 956
Age : 28
Join date : 2011-02-15
Location : SALZBRY, SA

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Dektra on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:11 am

Can someone please lock this thread....
avatar
Dektra
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Posts : 2984
Points : 3517
Age : 27
Join date : 2012-01-27
Location : Victoria

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Sleuth 101 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:23 am

After several re reads can understand that my last 3 lines on my first post could be taken as 'having a go' or provocative, maybe I could of worded my post better, my apologies, it was not my intent to 'be little' or 'take away' others acomplishments with using a controller, I still use one myself for different races, it was stated that it was my opinion and it was based on my experiences with using both.

I look forward to the comperative that Reaper finds with his wheel and controller and acknowledge 'lap times' can be as fast, in fact have a few PB's with a wheel myself but what really interests me is if the consistency would be there if he were to use the wheel over a full series with decent horse power cars, ie V8's, some GT's ect ect and how that would compare? I think that would be more of an accurate comparison under racing conditions rather than chasing hot lap times?
avatar
Sleuth 101
Multiple World Champ

Posts : 1529
Points : 1620
Join date : 2009-12-25
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Forza With A Wheel

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum