OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V8 Supercar Tuning

+2
o MANIC o
mcrow5
6 posters

Go down

V8 Supercar Tuning Empty V8 Supercar Tuning

Post by Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Hey All Please forgive me for the following long winded post but havent slept yet from a party last night and hoping on some kind soul replying today so I can try things etc.

Was wondering if anyone would be kinda enough to help me out when it comes to tuning I seem to have no idea and whenever I make a few changes then run a bunch of laps I seem to go back not forward on time list... Atm with the V8 Supercar series VI car spec stock tune I can bust in 1:57's-1:58's round Catalunya GP consistently clean but would like to know if a 2-3sec potential could be possible with the right tune for my style. I know 1:57's are pretty slow but I look back on replays and not too far off apexes etc that I cant see losing almost 10 sec a lap being put down solely to my line... can anyone tell me the sort of gains they have achieved from stock test runs to tuned etc or one better put some time aside to go through with me the breakdowns of where and what changing the different tune values helps... ie starting tyre pressures, downforce etc in reference to drive styles(late braking or curb riding etc). I've never had to deal with tunes much till coming online to race and now that I do not even sure on setting up gear ratios etc. I just change final gear to suit the course but usually slows me up as I reckon inidividual ratios need to be changed with it. Basically am lost and want to come upto a closer racing lvl with the pack. The only thing I can do is practice more to learn the drive lines but on my nice cleanies dont believe that can account for the gap between those in 1:49's and myself. I'm not expecting to run those times they are fast and kudos to you but would like to know the differences in non-tuned vs tuned, so I can have more enjoyable racing. (not that I would care if its just me letting ppl lap me every 10-20 laps as I'm in it for the fun but with closer times it wouldnt definately be a more exciting series from my perspective.

Back to top Go down

V8 Supercar Tuning Empty Re: V8 Supercar Tuning

Post by mcrow5 Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:30 pm

Starsiege wrote:when it comes to tuning I seem to have no idea and whenever I make a few changes then run a bunch of laps I seem to go back not forward on time list...

this is something i learnt early on when i started tuning in FM3, if your getting slower times with the adjustments you make, do the opposite to what you did. this worked and gave me massive improvements.
mcrow5
mcrow5
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by o MANIC o Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Only ad just one thing at a time, doing more than this doesn't tell you how you made the car better or worse because of the variables.

o MANIC o
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:59 pm

aye half of my problem is I'll try make what I think are a few subtle tweaks without thinking that together thats a lot of things and I have no way of telling if ea individual setting helped hehe. More than anything just want it confirmed that yes I could get into 155's or lower times with a decent tune compared to my current times. I was blown away when I joined you guys online... I crank the offline racing amongst my friends and thought I was hot shit... the Ute series I kept up alot better and had some close racing with basically a default series tune and some changing of the stiffness cos I found myself clipping ripple strips and rolling (although pressure always gets to me mid-endgame and I'd get sloppy or run off the road the longer the race went on). So I'll just slowly experiment with settings one by one and see what I can pull off... With gears is there any sort of general rule on how to move them indivdually after changing the final gear as I find on a course I know I can sacrifice top speed for I move the final gear and when out again I can hear the gear changes at unexpected points and didnt do the overall affect of what I'd want which would be less top speed more acceleration (ie hitting max top speed at end of longest straight and not wasting the excess that wont get utilized). Tyre pressures I think I would want to set them to get up to temp faster but am worried of the way it explains sudden losses of grip. I drive like lowndes so happy to have the back end stepping out a little but how noticeble are these losses of grip. I can slowly try all these things I am asking and thank those for any help but since getting into tuning I tweak I then take 20-30 laps to make sure I've put in the best cleanie I can muster before comparing etc so without any general knowledge this is a very long procedure

sorry if this hard to interpret just trying to say it as I see it not knowing too much.

Back to top Go down

Post by TEEROY 34 Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:59 pm

tunes certainly make a difference, compounded by these particular vehicles reacting hugely on the setup when compared to others.

im not your guy to give you this info coz i dont tune and if i run a series its always stock or restricted build coz im avg at it.

but im happy to send you an old tune to have a starting point from abd then you can compare yours to it
TEEROY 34
TEEROY 34
OZFM Legend & Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:12 pm

would love that teeroy. thanks am determined to get my head round these beasts for a good kick off in round 1

Back to top Go down

Post by o MANIC o Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Me too I can send you my tune which is good for mid 50's at catalunya. The thing is it might not suit your driving style, I use a controller which is different to the wheel. Overall my tunes for these Cars are very soft, so they are as forgiving as these cars will get. Overall learning to tune properly is a very lengthy process. Unless you find someone who drives exactly like you it doesn't matter how fast the tune is the different style of driving can make the car very different for two different people. S7ik is one of the fastest guys here and quite often gives me tunes to try but I can never get them to go as fast as he does. That maybe just skill or it maybe just the difference in our style. So the best tip I can give you is practice lots and lots of practice.

Add me on xbl and I will send over my tunes so u can have a play with them.

o MANIC o
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by stikman Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:06 pm

This is a base setup I use. I use a controller so not sure how this would go with a wheel, hopefully it might help you get pointed in the right direction, will prob need some neg toe on the rear for Rd Atlanta

Tyres F-2.2, R-2.26 Do the tyres after about 4-6 laps
You want the tyre temp to stay as even as possible across the whole tyre. The faster you drive the more heat you'll have in your tyres & the more important this becomes. If you can keep the tyre temp within 8 degrees of the inside & outside your doing it right.

Gearing, a 5 speed is quicker than a 6 speed (not counting lemans or the ring). Longer gears will help you get power down easier and be less prone to spinning on your way out of corners (at the expense of a small amount of corner speed).
My first gear tops out at just over 90
2nd a bit over 160, 3rd not sure but i think around 210-220, 4th about 260, 5th (secret squirrel)
Final drive is up you.

Camber -.6, -.6 Toe 0, 0 Caster 7
Can't really be bothered explaining this but you all probably know neg camber is your friend, the more you use the more mid corner grip you have, but if you take it to high you'll have trouble getting out of corners and it will affect your straight line speed. Try and stay above -1.5 (above as in -.5 is higher than -1.5)

ARB F-15.50, R-29.80

Springs, approx F 72, R 97.
Some people prefer harder spring rates but i found this is a good starting point

Ride height differs for each track but start in the middle and lower it till you find something you feel comfortable with. Lower ride height does not mean better handling.

Rebound 10.1, 10.1 Bump 1.0, 1.0 Add more bump for better turning, this will affect your cars balance so you need to get it right to avoid your car skipping into corners under brakes & under accelleration out of em.

Brakes, Bias 40% Pressure 140% - If your brakes are locking up with this lower the pressure.

Aero, the more you use the harder your suspension should be. My setup has more rear DF than front hence the harder rear suspension & ARB's.

On tracks like Rd Atlanta you'll probably lose at least .5 per lap using full aero, your car will be super quick through the first section but you'll struggle to hold position on the straights.

You don't want your car to have really sharp turn in either coz you'll lose the rear pretty quick thanks to all the undulations on the track at Rd Atlanta.

Either way aero is best setup by the driver to suit their driving style.

Diff 45% accell 10% decell. Take more accell off if you have trouble getting power down outta corners..

These are just my personal base settings and my own opinions so please don't flame me if they don't work for you, i'd like to see more of what other people are using to as this sort of thing will help everyone with their cars thoughout the series Smile

Last edited by stikman on Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:57 pm; edited 4 times in total

stikman
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by RRT_DemoN Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:27 pm

nice work stik now to find time to put ,ine down + try out your setup Twisted Evil j/ks ill put mine up soon

RRT_DemoN
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by stikman Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:46 pm

RRT_DemoN wrote:nice work stik now to find time to put ,ine down + try out your setup Twisted Evil j/ks ill put mine up soon
Nice one mate Smile
This is just a starting point though. My race setup is a little different to this, not much though.

stikman
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by RRT_DemoN Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:29 pm

ok my base (remember i dont know how to tune) but still fast for some reason

Tyres F 2.1 R 2.1
Gears 5 speed cant remember ratios but the higher side of 280 on the back straight
Camber F 1.0 R 0.5
Toe in/out 0/.2
caster 5
Roll Bars F 14.5 R 9.5
Springs cant remember exactly but front a lil stiffer then stock and rear a lil softer not by much
Rebound F 8 R 7
bump F 4 R 3.6
Brakes 55 front 175 pressure
aero F about half R about a quarter
Diff 10 accel 35 decel

ill copy the end of stikmans msg cheers man
These are just my personal base settings and my own opinions so please don't flame me if they don't work for you, i'd like to see more of what other people are using to as this sort of thing will help everyone with their cars thoughout the series

and thats why people laugh at my setups lol

RRT_DemoN
World Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks for the responses and top effort to Manic for a breakdown guideline I can start with. Will try some tuning tomorrow and let ya know how it works for my drive style. The other thing I gotta get used to is planning the switch to race the events with my new wheel instead of controller but still getting used to the wheel and its onboard settings etc

Back to top Go down

Post by o MANIC o Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Gotta love taking credit for other people's work.

o MANIC o
2 x World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazza4610 Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:08 pm

I think all above need some credit... it will give a lot of people some insight in to these beasts.

Thanks everyone...

Dazza4610

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:04 pm

thanks helped heaps

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down