OZFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RAGE!!!!!!

2 posters

Go down

RAGE!!!!!! Empty RAGE!!!!!!

Post by ted Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:03 pm

ok got to spend about 5 quality hours with RAGE now and gonna give my thoughts so far...

first thing that surprises about this game is when you open the case, it has 3 discs. didn't expect that for a FPS. and yes, they are all game discs.

on start up it suggests installing to harddrive which is encouraged as the game engine can often be caught out trying to load in textures, and for good reason, which i'll come to. while it doesn't slow down proceedings it can be a little annoying watching them load and installing the game eliminates this.

now i'm guessing the 3 disc affair is down to the texturing detail in the game, it is so stunning you really got to see it to believe it. so often i catch myself just stopping and looking at the scenery. it honestly looks more like a masterpeice painting than a video game. arguably the best texturing i have seen on a console, and by a fair whack too. what's also interesting is unlike everone else they have dropped any blurring affects to just have deep rich detail as far as the eye can see. character detail is very impressive and obviously these guys have tried to take the look a little further is the sense that facial expressions are very well orchestrated and super detailed, just adding to the feel of depth.

the next thing that grabbed me was the speed it runs. it not decent or great, it's relentless! the fluidity is still amazing me. not a single screen tear or frame jerk. even in the open world settings it is flawless. stepping out and taking a bead on gang members head is naturally easier thanks to this speed.

the story? ok it's very Fallout, and the game pulls no punches in declaring where it's inspiration came from. little links to the Bethesda classic haved turned up during play so far. this has much less RPG element to it and is almost purely shooter with some car racing thrown in and the ability to sell bits of junk you find and purchase weapons and ammo. there is also the option to build weapons and items on the fly with some of the junk you find. oh and a tip...you can never have enough wing-sticks!! typically you have a main quest with side quests that don't have to be done but help character progression.

in play the controls are good, helped immensely by the speed of the game. interestingly, when you die it's not neccessarily over. there is a second chance element where you get to defribulate yourself when you die, just make sure you dispatch the rest or your enemies quickly as it takes about 5 mins for this feature to charge up again. i'm playing it on Nightmare difficulty and finding it a solid challenge, but like any good shooter there are real difficult parts which become much easier once you figure out the best approach to take. the car racing is fairly contrived in the events that are required for story progress, but mostly not required and are for the purpose of collecting race tickets which are the only way to purchase vehicle upgrades, armour and weapons. haven't tried multiplayer yet but as far as i can tell it's only online co-op and online car racing.

i have been really surprised by RAGE. i was expecting a good game but got something better.

edit. don't play it within earshot if the kiddies, foul language is prevalent in some parts.

Last edited by ted on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : language warning)
ted
ted
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

RAGE!!!!!! Empty Re: RAGE!!!!!!

Post by Envy The Best Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Best visuals on console...better than Uncharted 2/3? LET DA BATTLE BEGIN!!!

But in all seriousness, good review, known ID for a long long time, the only thing holding me back is the bank and the decision between getting it on PC or 360...
Envy The Best
Envy The Best
Multiple World Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by ted Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Envy The Best wrote:Best visuals on console...better than Uncharted 2/3? LET DA BATTLE BEGIN!!!

But in all seriousness, good review, known ID for a long long time, the only thing holding me back is the bank and the decision between getting it on PC or 360...

lol yeah Uncharted does look great but the look of this is more my style. i'm not into blurring effects and the like. just a matter of personal taste...
ted
ted
Serious Racer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum